Epc light

SamHendry

Reaction score
The delights of owning a 17 year hatchback strikes again! Twice I've had the epc light appear on my dash.. Both times it happened while giving it some death (full throttle) and both times I lost all power but power was restored after switching the engine off and bk on.. These are the only symptoms shown..

Scanned the car.. Nine faults detected.. Clear all codes.. Scanned again.. No fault codes.. Scanned again and I got 17978.. Cleared it and it didn't come back..

Hmm not sure where to go from here...
Anyone have any suggestions?

Posting all the codes would have been a start tbh..

17978 is an immobiliser code... doubt its anything directly to do with your issue but knowing the other codes would have helped
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17978/P1570/005488

EPC light and power loss could be the MAF or potentially the throttle pedal... could also be the throttle body... the 9 codes may have held a clue.... diagnosis isn't as straightforward as explicit codes... they could be symptomatic of another issue

<tuffty/>

I'll keep scanning until I get more clues..

Thx tuffty

You running meth Sam?
Mine did this in Germany and finally packed up on the autobahn and I had to get towed 205 miles to the ferry.
Meth saturation in electrics of throttle body.

Second time it happened, miss fire codes and found coil packs were breaking down under load. Replaced the coils, so far so good.

Autobahn?? Ohh dude could it have happened at a worst place! Being towed for over 200 miles must have been tiresome! These old 1.8t's really are a love/hate relationship!

Not running meth mate although definitely something I will be looking into. So there is a strong possibility it could be my throttle body? I loose all power then I turn the car off nd on and everything go back to normal. Maybe the tb resets itself.. Hmm need do a few more scans to get some more clues.. Pita want to get this thing mapped... Actuator pressure is not much fun!

Autobahn?? Ohh dude could it have happened at a worst place! Being towed for over 200 miles must have been tiresome! These old 1.8t's really are a love/hate relationship!

Not running meth mate although definitely something I will be looking into. So there is a strong possibility it could be my throttle body? I loose all power then I turn the car off nd on and everything go back to normal. Maybe the tb resets itself.. Hmm need do a few more scans to get some more clues.. Pita want to get this thing mapped... Actuator pressure is not much fun!

Mate, 205 miles on a tow bar on the back of a BMW E39 M5.
Scariest thing I've ever done .
Had the stupid car fixed in 10 minutes with my spare throttle body at home.
Now on track days I take cool packs and throttle bodies with vag com to throttle body adapt LOL

Apparently the fix is to extend the wiring and turn the throttle body 90 degrees.
It's on my to do list.

Fault codes.....

<tuffty/>

Do this, get it scanned.
******* into the wind without codes

Reactions: SamHendry
Lost power four times on 30 miles drive today, fortunately everytime the car was fine after been turned off and back on.. Anyway scanned the car when I got home and I got 17743.

Exceeded
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
  • Reduced Power
Possible Causes
  • Intake hose(s) or intake system leaks (Unmetered Air) after MAF
  • Intake Air Temperature sensor faulty
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faulty
  • Engine Coolant Temperature sensor faulty
  • Restricted Air or Fuel Filters
Possible Solutions
  • Check intake hose(s) or intake system for leaks (Unmetered Air) after MAF
  • Check Intake Air Temperature sensor
  • Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
  • Check Engine Coolant Temperature sensor
  • Check Air and Fuel Filters
Special Notes
So now armed with info from Ross tech I can have a poke around a few of the sensors.. Air temp sensor has never been changed so that will prob be my first thing I'll look at.. Also get a pressure/smoke test done. Bosch maf I have isn't that old.

Ross tech mentions 'restrictive air filter' being a possible cause. Ive got a s2000 filter which I believe is quite choked from the inner mesh. That will be getting changed anyway.

My n75 is unplugged, could that effect anything?

Anyone had similar problems.? From searching it seems a good few people have had similar issue as me with identical symptoms but it can be do many things.

17743/P1335 - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceeded

MAF is normally the issue here...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: SamHendry
Oh right cheers tuffty. Was under a slight illusion it was something else.. Something cheaper haha. But if it is maf atleast an easy fix. These aftermarket air filters really do consume air flow sensors at an alarming rate!!

So decided rather than buying a new maf, I would try and clean the old one. They are not exactly cheap and I think this is the third time I've had a faulty maf in 20k?? Is this normal? 20k hard miles I must admit.

So I popped down to the local hardware store the other day and grabbed a can of electronic contact spray and I generously sprayed the culprit maf and then wiped it clean and hey presto my car no longer cuts out. Maybe they just need a clean once in a while?

Cleaning can help but mileage varies...

MAF is a service item in my opinion... I went through 3 in 18 months... oil is the biggest killer... either from an overly oiled filter or PCV blowing oil back in the TIP

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the heads up on it tuffty would have been chasing my tail on this one for God knows how long.