Advice on Audi A3 purchase

cpu2007

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I really hope to get some answers regarding my future purchase.

I have posted this topic in the wrong section and been told to post it here.

Audi A3 is a car I am looking for and I was double minded whether to buy the 1.6 or 2.0 (diesel) model. I haven't bought it yet but I'm thinking of buying the 2.0 because fuel efficiency wise there doesn't seem to be much difference(at least in the technical specs) and it's more powerful.

I am looking for a 5 door and noticed that there are version with the sunroof but didn't find many of them, I found some but very expensive(around 18k or more)

The model I'm looking is a start stop one because this is the one that seems to be the most economical (51.4 mpg urban).

The most expensive versions have things such as sunroof,the sexy steering, leather seats,all features that I love but what I want to know is what would be better for me in terms of saving money.

A standard version (usually black colour) costs around 13k-14k
A better version (sunroof,leather, steering,white colour,bumpers) costs around 18k-20k

The prices above are for car with less than 40000miles ,mostly 2010 models 2.0 diesel,5 doors,

are these prices ok or should I be looking for another range?

my main question is, would it be better/economical for me to buy a car with most of these features or buy a standard one and add these features such as leather seats,steering,bumpers,tyres and paint it to white?

Thank you in advance

Best to get the car you want with all the features you want first because remember if you start changing things after you have bought it you may need to inform the insurance of any changes you've made so may cost more in the long run.

Thank you, what you're saying makes sense.
I have been searching on autotrader mostly, sometime on ebay; as I said in the earlier post, prices for a car with most of the features I like was around 18-20k

Do you think that's the average price or is it too much for these features?

Around 18k no more dealers will always ask more thats were their profit is

yeah but the problem is that getting it from a private, you get the car as you see where as with the dealer you get a warranty as well.
a few years back I bought a golf from a private,after a few days the engine management light came on and later on I found out that the engine started developing problems.

has any of you guys ever bought a warranty for the car, the one where if some parts breakdown you, you don't have to pay to repair them, do you think they worth it if buying from private?

yeah but the problem is that getting it from a private, you get the car as you see where as with the dealer you get a warranty as well.
a few years back I bought a golf from a private,after a few days the engine management light came on and later on I found out that the engine started developing problems.

has any of you guys ever bought a warranty for the car, the one where if some parts breakdown you, you don't have to pay to repair them, do you think they worth it if buying from private?

Buy privately, and get someone to go along with you that knows their way round a car properly. If you're paranoid then putting the money you save in a savings account and pay in to it whatever you might've paid on a warranty. To be honest these aren't really Audi A3 questions....applicable to any car purchase really.

Re colour etc - spending £13-14k on a car and then getting it painted doesnt stack up. You'd probably pay £3k for a suitable good quality job, and it will still affect resale when you come to sell. An alternative would be to consider getting it wrapped, as long as you go a a reputable place and get it done properly.

I understand your point, I think I'll follow the steps that you have mentioend.
Regarding the paint, I should have been more specific that I want to wrap it as it's cheaper. I think a good quality wrap can cost aorun 1k which I'm happy to spend as I like how the car looks in a wrapped finish.

Does the car with sunroof and sport steering has a specific name? I know one is called black edition but not all black edition have a sunroof.