Best way to remove kick/scuff plates?

Jamie-S

Reaction score
Got a set of s line kick plates I need to fit but obviously remove my old ones, looks like 2 clips and double sided tape holds them on.

Do they come off easy and would a heatgun make removing any easier?

Jamie, I've removed these from my a4 b8, I did this carefully with a sharp wallpaper scraper. No clips on mine, just double sided tape, though you need to be sure not to scratch the paintwork, heating with a hair dryer did soften the tape. Cleaning the remaining sticky back from the double sided tape can be done by using petrol on a cloth.

Hope this info helps mate
JG

Reactions: Jamie-S
I will heat them up before having a go ;)

When you replaced them what mm double sided tape did you use?

The s line ones I have infront of me have like locators sticking out will see when I get the others off

I replaced mine with chrome ones that sit over the sill, so thickness of tape didn't really matter, they do sit flush though. I suggest you try to gauge the thickness of the tape on the ones you take off. As for the locators, if you don't have a place for these to fit on your car you could always adapt them by cutting the locators off prior fitting?
Remember to take it easy if you using the scraper, it can & will leave a nasty scratch in your paint work. The double tape is stuck to the front & back of the scuff plates, long ways.

JG

Got them all off in 5 minutes without heat with this little beaut

duze8asa.jpg

No scratches because its plastic

And mine does have the two clips, ones used for locating the plate so there all straight

Reactions: RS5 JON