S3 - water and oil temp display?

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

can anyone with a new s3 tell me if you can see the water and oil temps anywhere on the nav or dis?

seems a bit mean if not as I am gentle with my turbo cars until properly warm.

Oil temp should be an option on the DIS display.

You aren't missing much with the water temp gauge as mine purports to warm up so quickly that it must be very optimistic, even if the coolant thermostat remains closed until the block is warm. Either that or there is a small fusion reactor in there to warm the engine in such a short time.

John.

Hi, just out of curiosity, has the S3 got a water cooled turbo and a electric water pump?

"The exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head, where it is bathed in coolant. This solution lowers the temperature of the exhaust and accelerates warmup following a cold start, which lowers consumption during the cold-start phase. This concept also has a positive effect on fuel consumption during sporty driving because full-load enrichment is no longer necessary.

The large turbocharger is also a new development. It achieves a maximum boost pressure of up to 1.2 bar for even more spontaneous engine response. A high-performance intercooler integrated into the water circuit greatly reduces the temperature of the compressed air and thus increases the amount of air required for combustion."

Oil temp should be an option on the DIS display.

You aren't missing much with the water temp gauge as mine purports to warm up so quickly that it must be very optimistic, even if the coolant thermostat remains closed until the block is warm. Either that or there is a small fusion reactor in there to warm the engine in such a short time.

John.

I didn't see fusion reactor in the options for my A3 so maybe it's exclusive to S3.

Anyone who has recently collected their S3 able to comment on the DIS showing oil and water temps?​

Yes, the oil temperature is well hidden in the DIS (took me a while to find it) - it's under the Lap Timer option for some odd reason.

Not spotted the water temperature yet, I'll have a look....

Just read this in the manual:

192 01 Nov 13 1012

Kinda implies there's no way to read it on the S3...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I can see the oil temp appearing in the DIS on the lap timer but it doesn't seem to show a value? Anybody know how to get it working?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I can see the oil temp appearing in the DIS on the lap timer but it doesn't seem to show a value? Anybody know how to get it working?

it starts to register from 50degs - nothing below that...

Reactions: dts439
Aha, thanks! (must have more patience in future and wait for it to show)

Also, and in my opinion, good to keep revs <3k until the oil temp has reached 80 degrees.

Reactions: Tony1982
No need for a coolant temperature display to be fair, because it gets to temperature long before the engine so not a good method of knowing if its warm enough to give it some beans, the only time u would be interested in the coolant temperature would be to indicate a problem, in which case u get a warning light anyway telling u it's too hot. An oil temp display is relevant as u want to know when the engine is warm enough for planting your right foot, on the s3 u can display it on the dis by selecting lap timer, it will show up as just a few dashed lines until it reaches about 50 degrees, I believe you can have it in the normal trip computer or where ever u want it in the dis by doing a bit of coding with vcds. What I would like is a proper boost guage so I know exactly whats going on there, but hey don't get me started on the lame excuse of a boost guage in the s3!

Oil temp on all my DIS displays was my first VCDS mod and something I did within days of getting the car. I was amazed at the fact that Audi had hidden it on the lap timer as it is not a display one would use often (..if at all)

Reactions: Rob2k68
It is a shame that we've got a nice LCD screen sticking out of the dashboard which could be used to show oil temp, intercooled air temp, boost, FWD:RWD ratio, knock, wastegate rattle (dB) :devilish:, timing advance,.. all the sort of info the engine management has. Audi could even sell this as an option.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Tony1982
I will be looking to get this mod done as soon as I can. Although I can see why it's in Lap timer - I suppose you want to know how hot things are getting if you're on track smashing the laps, but then you probably want to know more stuff too.

It is a shame that we've got a nice LCD screen sticking out of the dashboard which could be used to show oil temp, intercooled air temp, boost, FWD:RWD ratio, knock, wastegate rattle (dB) :devilish:, timing advance,.. all the sort of info the engine management has. Audi could even sell this as an option.

I would be interested in something like that c63 can modified seen it before does look great also think m4 or m3 have such a option already standard.

Reactions: Wondering Soul