A3 2.0 FSI Camshaft Sensor Issues

daviid006

Reaction score
Let me start my story with, I have bought an Audi A3 2.0 FSI (2004) with 72000 on the clock. It came with a full service history which did confirm that the timing belt has been changed. I never inspected if it really was or wasn't. One day I was gonig home and the car has just stopped. My friend checked it for me and the timing belt has snapped! I could not belive it. But I thought it was my fault I should of double checked it. My friend has rebuilt the engine for me we have changed everithing that needed to be changed. The car started fine and everything. The second day the car did not want to start when the engine was warm it would only start 3rd time. We conneted it vac and did say it was the camshaft sensor. Then we did change the sensor but its still the same it starts first time when the engine cold, but it wont start first time when the engine is hot most of the time. It would always start 2-3 time I am not too sure what it could be. I have also noticed a very poor mpg. It use to be 30 plus but since I had the engine replaced its like 20 but max 24! I had done about 1500 miles since I had the engine replaced but it is getting really fustrating now. Any help or advice would be great!!

Welcome to the site.

Check your maf & maybe coolant sensors, if they report back incorrect readings, then of course it may use more fuel & cause starting issues.

Thank you for the fast reply I will go and change both and will let you know if it solved the issue.

No guarantees, but its certainly 2 to check.