B6 S4 150k miles would you?

p1tse

Reaction score
Would you get a high mileage s4?

I've read many topics on cam chain tensioner. Usually cold start rattle.
An expensive fix if broken or adjusting I believe

Other wear and tear items, pads and discs assume relatively competitive from euro car parts

But what about clutch and flywheel, cost of replacement?
Suspension parts?

Thoughts?

Yes please if your offering :laugh: as you say all depends on price and condition, just check it out and see which serviceable items have been replaced.

I'd be wary, and the price would need to be enough to allow you to spend £4-5k on it if necessary without losing money hand over foot.

cam chain and tensioner is the main thing to consider when buying an s4
make sure its clock cold wait while he starts it , if it rattles for anything longer than a second walk away and find another

if the chain goes or the tensioner guides are worn then its at least 3 grand to repair it properly

air conditioning unit can go faulty and its not easy to replace
clutches are weak on the manuals
brakes and service items are only slightly more than most cars
coil packs can be an issue make sure the improvement program has been done (should fit a brand new set of coil packs for free)
auxillary belt is prone to going so replace a little more frequently than most cars
front upper control arms are a problem , replace them and have the vehicle 4 wheel aligned
alternator is unique to the vehicle and getting harder to replace

Thanks

It was this which caught my eye
Used AUDI A4 (B6) S4 QUATTRO ... for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1807961)

But bit vague on service history ie annual or variable
And I don't think it's had a clutch and flywheel changed , reading about that can be about £2k alone. So the more I think about it it' doesn't seem a good buy unless closer to £3k

As at £5k region I've seen some appear immaculate, service history up to date with clutch change and less miles albeit those are saloons