How clever is the S3 ECU in respect of mapping and adjusting correctly for mods?

Muzza80

Reaction score
Just a quicky.

I've modified a few previous car now to around 300bhp and they have all been different in the respect of mapping specifically for modifications.

As an example I bought a standard Focus ST225, got it mapped on the day I bought it by a company called Pumabuild (their own map) then bit by bit I added firstly a 3" cat back system, then a month or two later a CAIS, followed next month by an uprated intercooler and sports cat downpipe. At no point was the original map changed and on a rolling road the car produced 310bhp and 350lb/ft with as perfect power/boost/fueling graphs as you could possibly get. The very clever ECU in the Focus adjusted everything to optimum based on the readings from all the sensors.

Then... lets take my 2006 Impreza, every major modification you added had to have the map tweaked to suit or you got all sorts of overboosting, fuelling and other problems. You actually had to drive it off boost to the mappers to have it tweaked.

So the Audi S3... on Saturday I'm getting it shark stage one mapped by Brodster. It's bog standard just now but lets say in a months time I want to add an intake system, then the following month I want to add a turbo back exhaust. Can I safely add these things without having to go back and immediately have it mapped again? Will the ECU account for these and adjust what it needs to to run the car safely now the whole system is far more free flowing?

Cheers!

Happy to be corrected mate but as far as I'm aware, taking your examples into consideration, your cold air intake will be fine and your turbo back will be as well providing it's got a 200cel sports cat. EML will come on for the emissions if it's decat or only a 100cel sports cat.

Reactions: Muzza80
it deepdns wha you do yeah you will get some things will give gains without mapping some wont if you get me

you wont get as much hp at the time of mapping it say as it could max get but then put on a exhaust and intake and it will boost upto what its max could be for a set level

just wait and get it mapped after the mods? lol

Nah mate I want it mapped now, it could be a few months before I add anything if I do at all.

I'm just wondering if there will be any running issues with adding things like the intake or exhaust if I don't go and immediately get it mapped right after, like the Scooby had.

Put it this way, you won't release the potential if you go for a stage 1 map and have stage 2-3 hardware

You will be fine. EML light might pop up with the exhaust, but just ignore it. Once you've got everything added, go to get it remap'd again to the correct stage for optimum performance.

As said mate........no harm in doing it the way you want to do it. I did exactly the same with no adverse effects to the car. And when the time comes to get it remapped again say after the TBE fit its only an update to the map so minimal expense NOT full map price.

I did exactly the same in my car,it seemed quicker but when the map was put on to use all this hardware boy oh boy,night and day but worth the wait to appreciate it,stage one will have you grinning though.

Been wondering this myself. My plan is to now do, catback, CAI and stage 1 map, ill probably leave it after that! Expecting around 320BHP+ since stock mines pushing 280. :)

Edit: After doing some Youtubing ive realised the Milltek catback non res doesnt sound much different to the stock exhaust... so i might save for a Turboback... since that definatly sounds different ;)

I was under the impression though that with a TBE you needed to have a stage 2 map, which is what the Milltek site says? Not going to make much difference to me if i need it anyway as id already have a Shark stage 1!!

Last edited:
I flashed my car then added a CAI a couple of weeks later, no ill-effects.
Then I had the map tweaked; Oh holy moly!

Edit: After doing some Youtubing ive realised the Milltek catback non res doesnt sound much different to the stock exhaust... so i might save for a Turboback... since that definatly sounds different ;)

Sounds like a BCS powervalve system would be right up your alley :)

Cheers for all the replies.

Yeah who knows if I will even take it further to be honest. 300-310 bhp is a ****** quick hatch and I'd rather not get into clutch worrying territory if at all possible.

Thanks again, cant wait till Saturday now! :D

Reactions: Dave-S3
Enquired about prices, the Powervalve one sounds like a rally car!!!