8V VCDS Mods

are there any other things you recommend I try in the ABS section?

I did see something where we can adjust the delay of the ABS. I'm not sure what that means but its default is 6.

is there way to find out what some of these things do as the description is vague and I don't want to just change things to test out.

Last edited:
are there any other things you recommend I try in the ABS section?

I did see something where we can adjust the delay of the ABS. I'm not sure what that means but its default is 6.

is there way to find out what some of these things do as the description is vague and I don't want to just change things to test out.
Unfortunately "changing things to test out" is how most VCDS mods are found :)

oh, I thought there was at least a manual that will at least tell us what that section does so we can test it to see if that works or not. at this point I could change something but I wouldn't know what to look at to see if a change has been made.

oh, I thought there was at least a manual that will at least tell us what that section does so we can test it to see if that works or not. at this point I could change something but I wouldn't know what to look at to see if a change has been made.
Welcome to the world of VCDS :) This is why both myself and many other forum members do lots of testing in order to "find" and document modifications. It's also a reason as to why people sometimes break their cars lol

after the coding today, I noticed the brakes have a little less help from the system. it feels more natural but I have to press a little harder to brake. before it felt more automated. I'm not sure if its just me or is it really different tho.

after the coding today, I noticed the brakes have a little less help from the system. it feels more natural but I have to press a little harder to brake. before it felt more automated. I'm not sure if its just me or is it really different tho.
Can always try reverting your changes in order to test.

If you have default of your maps you can check what made difference. If you don't have DJAlix or I can send copy of ours.

its not that I wont remember right now. if it does nothing I just put it back to default.

since I'm already doing some and have some time, I was able to get some more but someone needs to test it as I don't see any changes to my normal driving after I tested it and took a drive.

these I don't know what they do but I got the security for them.
ABS
electromachanical parking brake; delay level
range: 4-10
default: 6

auto hold functionality
default: not activated

auto hold increase threshold; full tension force
range: 8- 12
default: 10

on this one, I havent tried it yet but what is it?
expanded electronic differential lock
selections are:
deactivated
small threshold (default)
middle threshold
big threshold

if this is worth it ill look for the security code.

ABS
electromachanical parking brake; delay level
range: 4-10
default: 6
Added to Code Sheet :)
auto hold functionality
default: not activated
Added to Code Sheet :)
auto hold increase threshold; full tension force
range: 8- 12
default: 10
Am guessing this has the same code as Auto Hold Functionality, 24990?
on this one, I havent tried it yet but what is it?
selections are:
deactivated
middle threshold
big threshold
Page 182 of the Owners Manual:

Electronic differential lock (EDL)

When the EDL detects wheelspin, it brakes the spinning wheel and directs the power to the other driven wheel (or wheels on Quattro versions). This function is active up to about 100km/h. To prevent the disc brake of the braked wheel from overheating, the EDL cuts out automatically if subjected to excessive loads.

My guess is that this setting defines the "excessive" load amount.

when I did it, it didn't ask for a code so I assume its a carry over from my previous input of 24990.
so there must be a memory if we stay within the same parameter.

Electronic differential lock (EDL)

When the EDL detects wheelspin, it brakes the
spinning wheel and directs the power to the other driven wheel (or wheels on Quattro versions). This function is active up to about 100km/h. To prevent the disc brake of the braked wheel from overheating, the EDL cuts out automatically if subjected to excessive loads.

My guess is that this setting defines the "excessive" load amount.

to be more clearer, if its set to "big..." then it will spread the power out to all wheel immediately or is it the opposite to what I am thinking?
I am thinking this is basically adjusting a limited slip differential controller built into the car. it may move more power to the rear wheels sooner if its set to "big..." since I don't drive hard I wouldn't ever test it but I wonder if I would still feel it under quick launches and hard turns as it should also compensate for left and right slips.

when I did it, it didn't ask for a code so I assume its a carry over from my previous input of 24990.
so there must be a memory if we stay within the same parameter.
Correct thinking :)

so I understand this, if its set to big... then it will spread the power out to all wheel more immediately or is it the opposite to what I am thinking?
My line of thinking is:
  • deactivated = EDL functionality off
  • small threshold (default) = EDL kicks in when a small amount of spin is detected
  • middle threshold = EDL kicks in when a medium amount of spin is detected
  • big threshold = EDL only kicks in when a large amount of spin is detected
Impossible to know what these thresholds equate to in real terms though.

ill also be trying out this:
(03) ABS brakes
(16) security
(10) adaption
brake disc drying

weak (default)
medium
strong
not active = off

its the brake drying feature.
I hope this will help with the second slow release of the brake. I always feel a slow hesitation when I release my foot off the brake pedal. like as if the brake takes a second just to release at the caliper.
Brake Disc drying is designed to increase safety in heavy rain, by applying the brake pads to the brake discs at prescribed intervals in order to wipe the unwanted film of water. This produces the full braking effect faster and shortens the braking distance... or so Audi say.

since your able to get codes, I have another module that requires a code.
I'm looking for the code to open:
#3 ABS
#10 ADAPTION
(1) electromechnical parking brake - automatic application. set it to "disable"

in theory, I think this controls the handbrake automation. I want to disable it. the issue I have is when I have the car in "D" and open the drivers side door, the handbrake activates. I never want this automation to happen as I'm always checking curbs and space lines for parking.

Another forum member tested this today and found it that the EPB still activates. I did some further digging around and found this:

When on, Hill Hold Assist automatically applies the full parking brake when you remove your seatbelt or switch off the ignition and or open the drivers door, with a red handbrake indicator lamp on the dash. In fact, it removes the need to use the parking brake switch entirely as it automates the whole process.

Brake Disc drying is designed to increase safety in heavy rain, by applying the brake pads to the brake discs at prescribed intervals in order to wipe the unwanted film of water. This produces the full braking effect faster and shortens the braking distance... or so Audi say.
actually I do notice a less warmed up pad feel. I have had pads similar to these before and you tend to need to pre brake before your actual stopping destination. the issue is that with the selection on I would only assume that it is wearing out the pads prematurely. I can adjust my driving style if I need to.

Another forum member tested this today and found it that the EPB still activates. I did some further digging around and found this:

When on, Hill Hold Assist automatically applies the full parking brake when you remove your seatbelt or switch off the ignition and or open the drivers door, with a red handbrake indicator lamp on the dash. In fact, it removes the need to use the parking brake switch entirely as it automates the whole process.
yeah I tested it too and it does still activate. we need to find out what other options need to be turned off.
is it the hill hold assist that needs to be turn off? as long as I know which one ill attempt it. this wont be hard to test once I get the code for it. see if you can find out more of which ones might be the second or even third option I need to play with. I hope youll get me some ideas and ill try it first thing in the morning.

Correct thinking :)

My line of thinking is:
  • deactivated = EDL functionality off
  • small threshold (default) = EDL kicks in when a small amount of spin is detected
  • middle threshold = EDL kicks in when a medium amount of spin is detected
  • big threshold = EDL only kicks in when a large amount of spin is detected
Impossible to know what these thresholds equate to in real terms though.

this actually might be fun. once I get the code for this, I hope someone will test it out and let us know what happens. I'm thinking of trying to deactivate it and see how it feels.

yeah I tested it too and it does still activate. we need to find out what other options need to be turned off.
is it the hill hold assist that needs to be turn off? as long as I know which one ill attempt it. this wont be hard to test once I get the code for it. see if you can find out more of which ones might be the second or even third option I need to play with. I hope youll get me some ideas and ill try it first thing in the morning.

ya will be great to fully deactivate automatic engagement of the EPB when I open my door. I do the same as you, when I park I open the door to make sure I've got the car within the right spot.. Hong Kong, we have ridiculously tight parking spots.

@DJAlix , Maybe you can add this into your PDF. I just got the seat belt warning chime deactivated if you don't have your seat belt on whilst moving.

It's in
(17) Instruments
(07) Coding
--Long Coding Helper--
Go to byte 0 and change bit 2-4 to "Seat Belt Warning Inactive"
(DO IT!)

Reactions: spiros80 and DJAlix
Has anyone tried this ? Not able to get to my car at the moment to take a look :-

Has anyone tried this ? Not able to get to my car at the moment to take a look :-

View attachment 84579
Ross-Tech is yet to populate the drop down selection box for this, so no way of knowing what the possible values equate to at the moment.

Reactions: Rob2k68
@DJAlix , Maybe you can add this into your PDF. I just got the seat belt warning chime deactivated if you don't have your seat belt on whilst moving.

It's in
(17) Instruments
(07) Coding
--Long Coding Helper--
Go to byte 0 and change bit 2-4 to "Seat Belt Warning Inactive"
(DO IT!)
There is a big document update coming soon, this will be included. I've been saying it for a while but it is coming, honestly :)

Reactions: wezzels and Rob2k68
Ross-Tech is yet to populate the drop down selection box for this, so no way of knowing what the possible values equate to at the moment.

Ah gotcha thanks for that. Changed from 225s to 235s so wondered if it accommodated that.

In order to find out more myself I would need to have a "play session" in the car. I have added this to my "works" list but the list is very long at the moment so I will not have any further information for a few days.

Today I have to work on some external lighting configurations and finish off my Hidden dash cam install :) Not coding related but for those who might be interested a Koonlung K1S 1080p camera will be installed in to the attached mirror trim photo once I have finished shaping and painting it. Am wiring it in to the MMI also, with VIM. Will be starting a thread on the install once completed :)

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    912.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 276
Reactions: Rob2k68, Lightspeed998, rcnacura and 1 other person
Ah gotcha thanks for that. Changed from 225s to 235s so wondered if it accommodated that.
TBH honest it was unpopulated as of version 15.7.3 and I have not checked since v15.7.4 came out. Will have a look when in the car later on.

View attachment 84579
I was trying that out before too but its is unpopulated. not sure if its updated yet but it would be good to be able to adjust for that. I asked on other sites about this in the past and people had no clue why or what its for and thusly started to say things like why would you want to change wheels out that didn't fit? I was like wtf, why do you care what I do to my own ride? so it become like an argument about why a person online was clueless about all this and is trying to tell me what I should or should not do.

either way lets hope the next update of the software will have this.

In order to find out more myself I would need to have a "play session" in the car. I have added this to my "works" list but the list is very long at the moment so I will not have any further information for a few days.

Today I have to work on some external lighting configurations and finish off my Hidden dash cam install :) Not coding related but for those who might be interested a Koonlung K1S 1080p camera will be installed in to the attached mirror trim photo once I have finished shaping and painting it. Am wiring it in to the MMI also, with VIM. Will be starting a thread on the install once completed :)
nice. looks interesting. I too am looking into getting a front and rear camera. with my own driving habits, I am worried the camera might actually work against me tho. :racer:

right now I am looking to get a digital gauge in there. I am just amazed on how this car has NO coolant temp. it has a useless boost gauge but no coolant temp. so I'm in t he process of finalizing which gauge I'm going to be happy with.
my top contenders are:
there are pros and cons.

Samsung tablet:
using dash command or obdlink.
maxresdefault.jpg

picture.php

pros:
its got a 7inch screen and it looks really nice with a few gauges or as many as you want on there.
the gauges are fully customizable.
it will display everything that the data from the PIDS have. (have tested it and it all works great). basically a huge list of information can be put up. (I really only need 1, water temp. anything else is for fun unless I find something that is useful like transmission temp).
I have mostly everything to make it work now. just need to mount it too look nice. (I have a solution for that already)
the gauges are quick to update while the information flows through to the tablet. making the gauge display look almost real.
I can also use the tablet for other things like google maps or Pandora, plus others that might come up later on.
it got the unit for free from sprint, so its the cheapest to me on my line up. how everyone gets one will vary. lol

cons:
powering it can be a bit tricky. I have not tested how it needs to be powered long term. currently I take it out of the car and charge this every other night but if its on all the time during driving I'm not sure if want to keep charging it.
because of the above issue I prefer a unit that will be self contained for a power source.
therefore I need something that will not be using a battery but can use a DC power source instead.
I don't want to keep taking it out all the time so I leave it in there it can be an attraction for someone to steal it.
I want something that when I turn on the car it will automatically turn on and the same for when I turn off the car. having a tablet requires a bit too much attention.
the initial gauge setup is very time consuming because the gauge is sooooo customizable that it can take hours on each gauge to get it where you want it look like.

scangauge II:

sg2-closeup4.png

IMG_1999_Aqua.jpg

pros:
the size is small. making this an easy to install and look discrete.
it will look like its part of the car.
it is powered by the obd2 port so it will power on and off when I turn on and off the car. self contained for power and automated.
design is great. I can manipulate the casing to get it installed exactly how I want it.
I have a blendmount that I just got and will look awesome with it. I got the blendmount because of the awesome craftsmanship and materials they use. in the end it will look like factory when installed.

cons:
cost is pretty expensive for a small unit. no real sale for it and its the high priced unit out of my lineup. $150
from reviews, it seems to update the information pretty slow on the screen. (if I'm only using it for coolant temp then its fine)
the display isn't attractive, its just an LCD screen with numbers and so there are no animation with it.
it has less displayable information even for a digital gauge. I only see maybe 3 items I would want to display at all times and it displays 4.

ultragauge:
33569d1285299613-ultra-gauge-civic-ug-001.jpg

pros:
priced pretty decent. $70
the screen is a bit larger. still only LCD with numbers but it does have a larger display.
power is self contained, which comes from the obd2 port. on and off is also when the car is on and off.
it can display a large amount of types of information. it is limited but the list is pretty long.
it can display quite a few on the screen at one time.

cons:
the controls suck on this. its on the back. which means it cant be installed flat on a surface.
installation will be tricky because of the button placement but if not it would have been easy.
it looks nice but it doesn't have the design architecture that makes it look like it was a factory piece.
reviews says it is a tad slow to update the information from the obd2 port.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJAlix and Rob2k68
I figured out the security code for

(3)ABS
security 20103

deactivated (can NOT select this, says "out of range")
middle threshold
big threshold

anyone who tests this please let me know what you got out of changing it.

I also noticed:

*no security code needed
(3) ABS
dynamic start assist
normal (default)
early
late

*no security code needed
(3)ABS
hill start assist
normal (default)
early
late

how does these two work?

Reactions: wezzels, DJAlix and Rob2k68
I figured out the security code for

(3)ABS
security 20103

deactivated (can NOT select this, says "out of range")
middle threshold
big threshold

anyone who tests this please let me know what you got out of changing it.

I also noticed:

*no security code needed
(3) ABS
dynamic start assist
normal (default)
early
late

*no security code needed
(3)ABS
hill start assist
normal (default)
early
late

how does these two work?
Updates added to code map. Will publish early next week :)

nice. looks interesting. I too am looking into getting a front and rear camera. with my own driving habits, I am worried the camera might actually work against me tho. :racer:

right now I am looking to get a digital gauge in there. I am just amazed on how this car has NO coolant temp. it has a useless boost gauge but no coolant temp. so I'm in t he process of finalizing which gauge I'm going to be happy with.
my top contenders are:
there are pros and cons.

Samsung tablet:
using dash command or obdlink.
maxresdefault.jpg

picture.php

pros:
its got a 7inch screen and it looks really nice with a few gauges or as many as you want on there.
the gauges are fully customizable.
it will display everything that the data from the PIDS have. (have tested it and it all works great). basically a huge list of information can be put up. (I really only need 1, water temp. anything else is for fun unless I find something that is useful like transmission temp).
I have mostly everything to make it work now. just need to mount it too look nice. (I have a solution for that already)
the gauges are quick to update while the information flows through to the tablet. making the gauge display look almost real.
I can also use the tablet for other things like google maps or Pandora, plus others that might come up later on.
it got the unit for free from sprint, so its the cheapest to me on my line up. how everyone gets one will vary. lol

cons:
powering it can be a bit tricky. I have not tested how it needs to be powered long term. currently I take it out of the car and charge this every other night but if its on all the time during driving I'm not sure if want to keep charging it.
because of the above issue I prefer a unit that will be self contained for a power source.
therefore I need something that will not be using a battery but can use a DC power source instead.
I don't want to keep taking it out all the time so I leave it in there it can be an attraction for someone to steal it.
I want something that when I turn on the car it will automatically turn on and the same for when I turn off the car. having a tablet requires a bit too much attention.
the initial gauge setup is very time consuming because the gauge is sooooo customizable that it can take hours on each gauge to get it where you want it look like.

scangauge II:

sg2-closeup4.png

IMG_1999_Aqua.jpg

pros:
the size is small. making this an easy to install and look discrete.
it will look like its part of the car.
it is powered by the obd2 port so it will power on and off when I turn on and off the car. self contained for power and automated.
design is great. I can manipulate the casing to get it installed exactly how I want it.
I have a blendmount that I just got and will look awesome with it. I got the blendmount because of the awesome craftsmanship and materials they use. in the end it will look like factory when installed.

cons:
cost is pretty expensive for a small unit. no real sale for it and its the high priced unit out of my lineup. $150
from reviews, it seems to update the information pretty slow on the screen. (if I'm only using it for coolant temp then its fine)
the display isn't attractive, its just an LCD screen with numbers and so there are no animation with it.
it has less displayable information even for a digital gauge. I only see maybe 3 items I would want to display at all times and it displays 4.

ultragauge:
33569d1285299613-ultra-gauge-civic-ug-001.jpg

pros:
priced pretty decent. $70
the screen is a bit larger. still only LCD with numbers but it does have a larger display.
power is self contained, which comes from the obd2 port. on and off is also when the car is on and off.
it can display a large amount of types of information. it is limited but the list is pretty long.
it can display quite a few on the screen at one time.

cons:
the controls suck on this. its on the back. which means it cant be installed flat on a surface.
installation will be tricky because of the button placement but if not it would have been easy.
it looks nice but it doesn't have the design architecture that makes it look like it was a factory piece.
reviews says it is a tad slow to update the information from the obd2 port.
Not something I would have a use for myself but very interesting indeed. I like the look of the ScanGuage II.

can you explain exactly how the last two items I posted work, so I can figure out how I want to set my preferences on those two.

thanks.

got info from another site.

ESC off with a touch of the button instead of holding down.

(03) ABS
(07) coding
long coding helper
byte 29

00 turns off everything with traction button. button does not respond and does not show anything.

02 ASR off/ ASR on
hold does nothing

03 ESC sport

04 ESC on/off

there are other combos to try out but I used 04.

So some interesting stuff... I noticed because I permanently changed my steering feel to "dynamic" mode in VCD (these directions), when I had the ADS retrofitted, the steering wasn't changing to comfort or dynamic when in those modes, just stayed always in dynamic. I went into steering assist and, adaption and chose "Characteristic curve of steering assistance" and then switched to "driving profile selection button".

However when I did that, my option to change Steering feel in the individual was lost and now I only have the option to change the transmission from comfort, auto, and dynamic.

Anyone know of a trick to get the Steering to show back so I don't have to go back to the dealership to have them recode?

Also found and enabled a "Rest Recommend" mode that didn't work but thought was interesting. Guess something else is required...
2016 03 19 205540

can you explain exactly how the last two items I posted work, so I can figure out how I want to set my preferences on those two.

thanks.
No idea myself unfortunately as the MQB ABS module, up until this point, has been relatively untouched due to lack of Security Access Codes. They probably something to do with brake release time / pressure trigger points. Like with 80% of VCDS mods it's a case change setting, test, record result, repeat and publish results if your interested in helping the community :)

Some people don't think about it much but a lot of work goes in to some mods. Using my works from yesterday as an example, I had a full length mirror positioned in front of the car so I could 100% see the results of changes I was performing and testing on my lighting clusters. My neighbours must think I am a little crazy :)

For the testing of the 2nd of the settings you have enquired about, if I cannot find further information by referencing the cars manual, other MQB forums or indeed google, myself I would knock up a testing sheet and literally drive to a hill, park, change a value, drive off, park, record results, return to original spot, change a value, drive off, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: veeeight
TBH honest it was unpopulated as of version 15.7.3 and I have not checked since v15.7.4 came out. Will have a look when in the car later on.

I checked today - still not populated.

@jungle650

Change the behavior of the DRL’s when indicating (Pulsing indicators) for LED headlamps - normal behaviour is DRL's off :-
1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
2. STG Access Permission -> Function 16
3. Enter access code 31347
4. STG adjustment -> function 10
5. Channel (16) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Lichtfunktion G 2 to “Blinken links Hellpase”, was “Blinken links aktiv”
6. Channel (18) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Dimmwert GH 2 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10
7. Channel (16) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Lichtfunktion G 3 to “Blinken rechts Hellpase”, was “Blinken rechts aktiv”
8. Channel (18) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Dimmwert GH 3 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10

Reactions: DJAlix and wezzels
@jungle650

Change the behavior of the DRL’s when indicating (Pulsing indicators) for LED headlamps - normal behaviour is DRL's off :-
1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
2. STG Access Permission -> Function 16
3. Enter access code 31347
4. STG adjustment -> function 10
5. Channel (16) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Lichtfunktion G 2 to “Blinken links Hellpase”, was “Blinken links aktiv”
6. Channel (18) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Dimmwert GH 2 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10
7. Channel (16) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Lichtfunktion G 3 to “Blinken rechts Hellpase”, was “Blinken rechts aktiv”
8. Channel (18) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Dimmwert GH 3 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10

Thx Rob, Out of curio what number did you change to ?

^ I'm sure you know this already ;) but that does not conform to the EU Directive :p

(The DRL must be off for the duration (ON and OFF cycle) that the indicator is on.)

European Directive 76/656/EEC, as amended by 2008/89/EC

General:
No flashing lights other than:
Direction-indicator lamps, the vehicle-hazard warning signal, amber side-marker
lamps [..], and the emergency stop signal.

DRLs:
If the distance between the front direction-indicator lamp and the daytime running
lamp is equal or less than 40 mm, the electrical connections of the daytime
running lamp on the relevant side of the vehicle may be such that either:
(a) It is switched OFF; or
(b) Its luminous intensity is reduced during the entire period

If a direction-indicator lamp is reciprocally incorporated with a daytime running
lamp, the electrical connections of the daytime running lamp on the relevant side
of the vehicle shall be such that the daytime running lamp is switched OFF during
the entire period (both ON and OFF cycle) of activation of the direction-indicator
lamp.