8V VCDS Mods

@jungle650

Change the behavior of the DRL’s when indicating (Pulsing indicators) for LED headlamps - normal behaviour is DRL's off :-
1. Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
2. STG Access Permission -> Function 16
3. Enter access code 31347
4. STG adjustment -> function 10
5. Channel (16) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Lichtfunktion G 2 to “Blinken links Hellpase”, was “Blinken links aktiv”
6. Channel (18) Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Dimmwert GH 2 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10
7. Channel (16) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Lichtfunktion G 3 to “Blinken rechts Hellpase”, was “Blinken rechts aktiv”
8. Channel (18) Leuchte3SL VLB21 – Dimmwert GH 3 to “100” -- any number from 0-100 -- default is 10

What do you mean normal behaviour is DRL off?
My car bought in Spain does the next thing. When you turn on indicator the DRL goes from 100% to 30% dimming down to see better the amber light.
Except with xenon on, in that case DRL automatically dims to 30% and does not dim any lower with indicators

EDIT: didnt read LED headlamps, sorry

Reactions: veeeight and Rob2k68
UPDATE

(3) ABS
expanded electronic differential lock
small threshold (default)
middle threshold
big threshold

i am currently on big threshold.
im may not be observing this correctly but it looks like under hard turning acceleration it feels different. i cant describe it but i am not going all crazy on it. it feels like i can could possibly break loose a wheel but i didnt go that far and i never really push my cars hard so i cant confirm it yet.

fuel adjustments;
(17) Instruments
•Adaptations
•(1)-Offset for tank calibration values-Offset sensor 1
•(2)-Offset for tank calibration values-Offset sensor 2
•(3)-Offset for tank calibration values-Offset sensor 3
•(4)-Offset for tank calibration values-Offset sensor 4
•(5)-Offset for tank calibration values-Complete tank calibration

in sensor 2:
max = 8.0
min = -8.0
middle= 0
stock = -12.8

decided to actually test it yesterday. at stock i waited till my gas went down to 0 miles on the estimator. i pulled over and set the vcds parameter. i also reseted my trip meter so i know how far i can go, as i have driven about 20 miles after 0-empty before.

then set mine to max 8.0 on sensor 2. this sets the meter back up to 25miles.
then drove like normal on the streets. no hard driving.
when the gas gauge and estimator went to 5miles left once again, my car was still going. the trip meter was at 30 miles. i decided to fuel up again as i didnt bring my spare 1gal fuel tank with me.
ill try it again but if i am able to keep going ill need to use the last sensor, sensor 5, to give it another 5miles for a more accurate reading.

it was heart pumping to see the meter go down but not know if the fuel is actually going to empty out and be stuck. it was a very exciting day!
im doing it again. :rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: wezzels, DJAlix and Rob2k68
@DJAlix, any chance you can perform your code detection on the Mag Ride module (14-Susp. Elect.) ?

Apparently, it helps to re-calibrate the mag ride suspension control unit after installing lowering springs as one owner has done it and receive good results.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/696695-S3-Mag-Ride-EDC-Calibration
Unfortunatly I don't have access to a car with Mag Ride but anyone with would be more than welcome to pop over for a coffee and a coding session.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Can I ask where / how you completed the retrofit? Check the following:

19 - Can Gateway
Long Coding
Byte 12
Bit 2 - Drive Program Function "Free Wheel/Clutch" Active

Does anyone know how to get the efficiency mode to display on US cars? I've seen a few references to someone completing it via VCDS here and over and AudiWorld, but no specific links to where it was discussed or how to do it... Also seems unclear if it actually worked I suppose :)

"Free Wheel/Clutch" Active doesn't work if you don't have button. I activated this function but since I don't have Drive Select, it doesn't work.

Unfortunatly I don't have access to a car with Mag Ride but anyone with would be more than welcome to pop over for a coffee and a coding session.
what are the code to try out?
I can try it today if you have the set of codes.

Does anyone know how to get the efficiency mode to display on US cars? I've seen a few references to someone completing it via VCDS here and over and AudiWorld, but no specific links to where it was discussed or how to do it... Also seems unclear if it actually worked I suppose :)

19 - Can Gateway
Long Coding
Byte 12

what does this do?

This is a part of ADS (Audi Drive Select), a SWaP feature.
19 - Can Gateway
Long Coding
Byte 12

does this just make the clutch release more often when not on the accelerator?

19 - Can Gateway
Long Coding
Byte 12

does this just make the clutch release more often when not on the accelerator?
When activated, in conjunction with ADS and Efficiency Mode, it allows the use of "coasting mode":

Audi drive select efficiency mode
In this mode, the vehicle is adjusted particularly efficiently and the driver is actively supported with a driving style that can reduce fuel consumption. One example: the modified shift program with S tronic with a conscious movement of gearshift point in lower engine speed ranges. Here, the coasting mode of the S tronic is also activated, which means the vehicle clutch is automatically released when the driver takes the foot off the accelerator pedal, thus saving fuel. In efficiency mode, the electromechanical power steering system, cruise control and adaptive cruise control contribute to further reducing driving resistance. Equally, the air conditioning is adapted to requirements and switched to a working mode with improved energy consumption. The efficient driving style in the Audi drive select efficiency mode makes more mileage per tank filling possible, reducing CO2 emissions at the same time.

Reactions: pburv
will this module need a security pass code like the others I have done?
No idea as I am yet to see a car with Mag Ride, but am guessing from the requests for "code assistance" that a main or Adaptation based security access codes are needed.

No idea as I am yet to see a car with Mag Ride, but am guessing from the requests for "code assistance" that a main or Adaptation based security access codes are needed.
I just looked at it and I didn't see exactly those wording so I didn't go into something I didn't know.

When activated, in conjunction with ADS and Efficiency Mode, it allows the use of "coasting mode":

Audi drive select efficiency mode
In this mode, the vehicle is adjusted particularly efficiently and the driver is actively supported with a driving style that can reduce fuel consumption. One example: the modified shift program with S tronic with a conscious movement of gearshift point in lower engine speed ranges. Here, the coasting mode of the S tronic is also activated, which means the vehicle clutch is automatically released when the driver takes the foot off the accelerator pedal, thus saving fuel. In efficiency mode, the electromechanical power steering system, cruise control and adaptive cruise control contribute to further reducing driving resistance. Equally, the air conditioning is adapted to requirements and switched to a working mode with improved energy consumption. The efficient driving style in the Audi drive select efficiency mode makes more mileage per tank filling possible, reducing CO2 emissions at the same time.
I would like to try to activate this. do you have the whole ADS coding and the security passcode?

I would like to try to activate this. do you have the whole ADS coding and the security passcode?
Long story short "ALL" the needed coding cannot be completed via VCDS or any other 3rd party application. ADS is a licensed SWaP product. Coding and Adaption needs to be completed and then both product and licence codes need to be activated by a dealer system, imported and linked to the cars VIN number in order to unlock it's features.

*SWaP = Software as a Product

Edit: Authorisation for "feature" use is sent to the car via erWin / ODIS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 21.42.58.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-22 at 21.42.58.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
thanks, good to know.
It's interesting for sure but a real pain in the bum. I can understand, for example, things like Nav and Connect Services being SWaP but ADS and even Standard Cruse Control seems silly in my mind.

What version of VCDS you guys running? Any 15.7 working successfully?

Same here no issues think it's 15.7.4 I've been using recently - ah, perhaps only issue 09 Central Electronics seems to time out fairly quickly that requires me to exit and go back in with security code.

Same here no issues think it's 15.7.4 I've been using recently - ah, perhaps only issue 09 Central Electronics seems to time out fairly quickly that requires me to exit and go back in with security code.
Strange, not experienced this issue myself. To be fair VCDS has been one of the most trouble free applications I have ever used :)

Strange, not experienced this issue myself. To be fair VCDS has been one of the most trouble free applications I have ever used :)

Hmm that's good to hear. Maybe have to check to see if the laptop goes into some sort of power save mode at the USB ports or also wonder if it could be related to car battery voltage ?

Hmm that's good to hear. Maybe have to check to see if the laptop goes into some sort of power save mode at the USB ports or also wonder if it could be related to car battery voltage ?
What O/S you running? Battery voltage should not be an issue with connectivity TBH.

What O/S you running? Battery voltage should not be an issue with connectivity TBH.

It's Windows 10 on a Lenovo yoga 700 - pretty compact machine and good to flip it over and use as a tablet.

Reactions: DJAlix
It's Windows 10 on a Lenovo yoga 700 - pretty compact machine and good to flip it over and use as a tablet.
This is how I have mine setup on both my Linx 1010B Tablet and my MacBook Pro:

Screen Shot 2016 03 28 at 192039

Edit : Thinking about it, if yours is configured the same as mine, maybe your cable / usb driver needs reinstalling.

This is how I have mine setup on both my Linx 1010B Tablet and my MacBook Pro:

View attachment 85881

Edit : Thinking about it, if yours is configured the same as mine, maybe your cable / usb driver needs reinstalling.

I'll check that out - cheers Alex top bloke as always !!

Has anyone got experience using a Snap on Modis Ultra for adaptions?

( i might make a new thread as i cant find much on this)

Costly bit of kit that! Could buy a VCDS HEX NET and VCP v2 with Flash and VIM and have lots of money left over :)

No experience myself but adaptations should be easy to do. Long Coding, if possible... am willing to bet there are zero labels in the software so would be coding blind.

No mate personally I've never heard of it to be honest.

I'm guessing this is a plug in cordless device that connects to a mobile or tablet ? Ross-Tech mobile looks to do away with the cable which will be a lot better for doing diagnostics whilst on the go (saves the laptop flying off the passenger seat!) but I don't think it's out yet.

Use snap on a daily basis, and for coding etc it's not that easy it's not guided, adaption is still on numbers rather than description so all can be done but you need to know all codes etc.
I use VCDS for all VAG as its a lot more in depth.

Costly bit of kit that! Could buy a VCDS HEX NET and VCP v2 with Flash and VIM and have lots of money left over :)

No experience myself but adaptations should be easy to do. Long Coding, if possible... am willing to bet there are zero labels in the software so would be coding blind.

No mate personally I've never heard of it to be honest.

I'm guessing this is a plug in cordless device that connects to a mobile or tablet ? Ross-Tech mobile looks to do away with the cable which will be a lot better for doing diagnostics whilst on the go (saves the laptop flying off the passenger seat!) but I don't think it's out yet.

Yes it's a costly piece of kit, its one of the better snap on branded diagnosis equipment, for over 30 brands of cars capable of wiring diagrams, code reading/ clearing, oscilloscope and indepth wiring work. but I am in the trade and looking to open my own garage in the near future, so it's beneficial to me.
My reason for asking is, as I'm going to get it, it advertises itself as being capable of adaptions and coding so anyone with any experience would've just been handy.

I do plan on purchasing VCDS at some point.

Use snap on a daily basis, and for coding etc it's not that easy it's not guided, adaption is still on numbers rather than description so all can be done but you need to know all codes etc.
I use VCDS for all VAG as its a lot more in depth.

I did suspect that all coding would be long and would require to know it all in depth, I know it is on the lesser models, but my interest in the latest software on the modish ultra is due to it being a lot more in depth. I.e ****** on my current solus.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and DJAlix
Still uses same software I'm afraid. I use verdict which is limited, but does all makes to a level. But yeah costly at £4K

I cannot speak highly enough of VCDS and would suggest that it's included within every toolkit, but VCP might be the way to go in this case. Although long coding is effectively "blind" like the Snap On, you have the option to purchase the firmware flashing ability which might prove useful as a professional. Not sure if the Snap On can flash. VCP adaptations have descriptions also :)

Reactions: RO65ERS
Long story short "ALL" the needed coding cannot be completed via VCDS or any other 3rd party application. ADS is a licensed SWaP product. Coding and Adaption needs to be completed and then both product and licence codes need to be activated by a dealer system, imported and linked to the cars VIN number in order to unlock it's features.

*SWaP = Software as a Product

Edit: Authorisation for "feature" use is sent to the car via erWin / ODIS

Is it possible to add efficiency mode if Drive Select is already an installed option? I have Drive Select, but am in the US thus no efficiency mode...

Thanks!

DJAlix.....

Sorry, a little bit off track here....

I bought my wife a 2016 A1 SLine. Everytime you start it, it beeps and shows passenger airbag active in the DIS. Any clue where I might be able to disable this warning?

Its a long shot but thought Id ask.......ok back to all things 8v now!

DJAlix.....

Sorry, a little bit off track here....

I bought my wife a 2016 A1 SLine. Everytime you start it, it beeps and shows passenger airbag active in the DIS. Any clue where I might be able to disable this warning?

Its a long shot but thought Id ask.......ok back to all things 8v now!
I would dealer it as it's a 2016. Would need to see a scan in order to be sure but the last time I had an issue like this, funny enough with an A1, it turned out to be a loose wiring connector.

Is it possible to add efficiency mode if Drive Select is already an installed option? I have Drive Select, but am in the US thus no efficiency mode...

Thanks!
To be honest I am a little lost with Drive Select / Efficiency Mode. ADS is SWaP end of story but efficiency should be possible, however I think I have gone as far as I can with it for the moment as I don't have a non factory equipped car to test with.

Will collate all my notes and post up what I have so far later tonight.