8V VCDS Mods

Most vcp stuff I'm looking at is on stemei - I'd say at this point I'm just observing the results of the functions rather than understanding how they are done.

Nothing more at this point than feeding off the links to forums in your PDF, and of course the PDF itself!

Although I don't think it's related I'm watching a thread on vwvortex where they are getting into the discover pro system on a Golf Mk7, just for interest. I will eventually get registered on the vcp-forum I hope, which I guess you know all about already.
I monitor VW forums also as the systems are related and give good pointers for us Audi guys. Saw someone activate Performance Mode on an MIB2 yesterday (see photo) which has ****** me right off as we have very little chance of doing this on our current MMI units :( But am still gonna investigate :) Saw Audi SD Based Navigation running on a Seat unit also! lol

The VCP forum sucks to be honest unless you speak German or Russian. The English forum section has little to no activity. I only use it to find out when software updates are available.

Attachments

• 2015-09-19 10.39.07_zpsyqbdsxiv.jpg
    2015-09-19 10.39.07_zpsyqbdsxiv.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 595
Reactions: Schizophonic and Fiddie
I monitor VW forums also as the systems are related and give good pointers for us Audi guys. Saw someone activate Performance Mode on an MIB2 yesterday (see photo) which has ****** me right off as we have very little chance of doing this on our current MMI units :( But am still gonna investigate :) Saw Audi SD Based Navigation running on a Seat unit also! lol

The VCP forum sucks to be honest unless you speak German or Russian. The English forum section has little to no activity. I only use it to find out when software updates are available.
I saw this on VW forums time ago, but never on Audi ones :(

What was the reason for disconnecting the battery? Normally this DTC is related to an incorrectly set service interval. It's also been known to pop up if the service interval has been reset via the MMI and not VCDS.

Run a full Auto-Scan and when complete clear all the DTC's. Once done Uncheck the "Display Freeze Frame Data" option and run a full Auto-Scan again. It the DTC is still there it means there is an issue. If not there then take the car for a little drive and run an Auto-Scan on your return to see if the DTC pop's back up.
Still pops up.
I had once reseted the oil service interval via the MMI but i had never had that fault code appear.
It has appeared after the battery removal. ( was adding a cable to future conect a inverter)
Do I have to do the refuel litres basic setting?
Or am I missing something?

Still pops up.
I had once reseted the oil service interval via the MMI but i had never had that fault code appear.
It has appeared after the battery removal. ( was adding a cable to future conect a inverter)
Do I have to do the refuel litres basic setting?
Or am I missing something?

I would record the current service information, distance and days, and then try resetting the the service reminder. This it what seems to have resolved the issue for others around the internet.

I would record the current service information, distance and days, and then try resetting the the service reminder. This it what seems to have resolved the issue for others around the internet.
For the unkown here, could you tell me how to do it and what to save? Some messages have 730 days and some are maximum mileage so i dont know how to reset or what to save exactly.

Regards DjAlix.

For the unkown here, could you tell me how to do it and what to save? Some messages have 730 days and some are maximum mileage so i dont know how to reset or what to save exactly.

Regards DjAlix.
I have not performed one of these as yet but looking at the RossTech link / guide I would reference and record the following adaptation vales:
  • 17 - Instruments
  • FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection
  • FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection
I would then follow the RossTech reset guide:
  • 17 - Instruments
  • ESI: Resetting ESI = Reset
  • FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection = 0
  • FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection = 0
Cycle Ignition and check for DTC. If cleared then enter your true values:
  • 17 - Instruments
  • ESI: Resetting ESI = Reset
  • FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection = Your recorded Value
  • FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection = Your recorded Value
Cycle ignition and check values via MMI and adaptation channels in order to make sure all is back as it was / should be, then check for DTC.

This is what seems to have resolved the DTC from reading around the net and is what I would try completing BUT... I cannot personally guarantee that this will work as the information is 3rd hand so to speak.

Reactions: ChiYoung
grrrr....coming up on a week now with no response from support. Did you ever have to wait longer than 4 days when dealing with them DJAlix? I emailed support[at]vcp[dot]pl which I think is correct. Did you use the same address when you upgraded to v5?

grrrr....coming up on a week now with no response from support. Did you ever have to wait longer than 4 days when dealing with them DJAlix? I emailed support[at]vcp[dot]pl which I think is correct. Did you use the same address when you upgraded to v5?
Thats the correct support address. The only time I every had to wait more than approx 1 day for a response was during the v4 to v5 release as they were crazy busy. I would send another email and put in the subject line that you have been waiting for a week with no reply, or something like that.

Thats the correct support address. The only time I every had to wait more than approx 1 day for a response was during the v4 to v5 release as they were crazy busy. I would send another email and put in the subject line that you have been waiting for a week with no reply, or something like that.

Thanks, I've done that. Hopefully I'll be able to use this thing soon :)

Evenin'

I successfully added the basics I wanted on my 65 plate UK spec with VCDS like needle sweep, passenger drawdown & parking visualisation.

Audio alert on lock/unlock didn't seem to work, perhaps I have no alarm, but no biggie.

What I was wondering is has anyone managed to enable anything with VCDS on the Nav mode that doesn't require a map SD card? Like a compass view or something?

Reactions: SW14NY'S
Evenin'

I successfully added the basics I wanted on my 65 plate UK spec with VCDS like needle sweep, passenger drawdown & parking visualisation.

Audio alert on lock/unlock didn't seem to work, perhaps I have no alarm, but no biggie.

What I was wondering is has anyone managed to enable anything with VCDS on the Nav mode that doesn't require a map SD card? Like a compass view or something?
For the Alarm Beep, did you just activate the option or did you also activate the MMI menu as well?

Am guessing from your post and signature that you have a non-Nav Standard MMI unit?

Thanks for the reply :)

Activated all three options (beep on lock, unlock & menu) but no luck.

It's the standard MMI, but with Nav prep and no card. I assume this means it has the GPS receiver installed and would just need the SD card & activation to get Nav, but I'm just interested in using the receiver without a map.

Thanks for the reply :)

Activated all three options (beep on lock, unlock & menu) but no luck.

It's the standard MMI, but with Nav prep and no card. I assume this means it has the GPS receiver installed and would just need the SD card & activation to get Nav, but I'm just interested in using the receiver without a map.
Welcome :)

Thought so :( I have not yet managed to get Alarm beeping to work on cars over than 2013 and 2014 models via VCDS. Not tried with VCP as yet but am guessing the module and or the firmware no longer supports the option.

Yup, all the Nav prep should be in place. I have not had a non-Nav car come to me yet but doubt you will be able to have any Nav related displays on the MMI without official activation. You might be able to activate compass display in the DIS though.

MMI Menu options are configured via "Vehicle Function List BAP", "Vehicle Function List CAN" and "Vehicle Menu Operation Menu" within 5F. 9 times out of 10, when making a change, you will need to do an MMI reset in order to have menus "pop".

OK, thanks. I will have a poke around and see what I can find!

Hmm, I enabled the compass in DIS but it just displays "Navigation Error" when I select it. I guess I have to enable Nav somehow to activate the GPS receiver.

My VCDS doesn't seem to have any descriptions in the long code helper for module 5F so I'll have to do some more digging.

Hmm, I enabled the compass in DIS but it just displays "Navigation Error" when I select it. I guess I have to enable Nav somehow to activate the GPS receiver.

My VCDS doesn't seem to have any descriptions in the long code helper for module 5F so I'll have to do some more digging.
Which version of VCDS are you using? Navigation is protected via "component protection" so you won't be able to activate it completely. You could try 5F > Byte 24 > Activate bit 2 (Navigation Function Active / Installed) and then test the compass, but I doubt this would work. Would be cool if you could let us know for sure tho :)

Reactions: aurian
Which version of VCDS are you using? Navigation is protected via "component protection" so you won't be able to activate it completely. You could try 5F > Byte 24 > Activate bit 2 (Navigation Function Active / Installed) and then test the compass, but I doubt this would work. Would be cool if you could let us know for sure tho :)

Using version 15.7, will test and post results :)

Sorry to be lazy but has anyone got the codes to open the exhaust valve and to change the fake engine cabin sounds to hand ?

Cheers !

Well I'm finally alive here with the VCP. Just had a quick poke around and enabled the oil temp display (default = Off on my Canadian S3, but the adaptation works fine for turning it back on).

One interesting thing I found is that start/stop is disabled over here but not by switching the voltage to 12.1. Mine's already at 7.6, and no start/stop.

Tried the one-click function to enable green menu and it stated that communication had failed. Maybe it needs to be done through zdc files? If it does, I'm missing access to them. I was authorized to pull down 25 cdc files, which is quite a bit less than you mentioned if I recall DJAlix (I'm not interested in VIM, but most of the files I have downloaded from that set of 25, are to do with VIM on various models).

Tomorrow I'll do some more looking around and enable a few more lighting tweaks.

PS forgot to add if there is any scanning/data that can help the general understanding/efforts of others here from a Canadian Spec 2016 S3 with tech package, please let me know and I can gladly oblige.

Last edited:
The procedure for activating the Green Engineering Menu on MQB cars is different from other platforms. The one-click function you tried via the ZDC file is for A1/4/5/6/7 and Q Cars. Our MMI3G+ is very different but Audi has labelled / given it same name as previous generations.

To activate this you need to set "Developer mode" within control module 5F to Activated via Adaptations. Trying this via VCDS or VCP (when in standard mode) will return a request out of range error, so you need to do the following:
  • Select Control Module 5F
  • In Basic Functions select Connect
  • Under the Basic Function Box and next to the Diag. Session at the bottom of the screen, change the drop down option from Standard Diagnose to Engineering Mode.
  • In the Advanced Functions Box, select Sec. Access
  • Enter 20103 as the security access code
  • In the Advanced Functions Box, select Adaptation
  • Change N44 ID9279 Developer Mode to Activated
Disconnect VCP from the car and three finger restart the MMI. When the unit has restarted press and hold the back button + the bottom right selection button until the green menu shows up.

Engineering Mode Sessions within VCP are Dangerous! Be very careful how you use this mode as it can brick control units if you are not sure about what you are doing.

ZDC files. When I was first activated in version 4 I had access to approx 20 ZDC files. I needed to email support and request access to the others I was entitled to according to my licence. Once complete I had access to approx 175 files. I would email support again. A VIM Licence adds another 25 ZDC files to this and a EDC flashing licence adds even more.

Would be great to see an auto scan from your car. Auto Scans are are more long winded procedure in VCP than VCDS but you should be able to work it out :) If not then give me a shout. Would be grate to see some adaptation maps also but this is a process I am working on at the moment as it's not a default feature. This is where VCDS shines.

Reactions: davey6693
You could try 5F > Byte 24 > Activate bit 2 (Navigation Function Active / Installed) and then test the compass, but I doubt this would work. Would be cool if you could let us know for sure tho :)

Byte 24 bit 2 was already ticked in my 5F module

Either ticked or unticked I see the message "Navigation defective" in the DIS and "Navigation not enabled" in MMI.

Will keep investigating

Sorry for beginner question

How many of these mods, the simple ones like dipping side mirror in reverse, oil temp in DIS etc, can be done by a dealer?

Just trying to see, don't really want to spend so much on a genuine ross-tech cable and it was suggested in another thread to avoid fakes... so hoping a dealer I'm buying from can do some simple bits

Sorry for beginner question

How many of these mods, the simple ones like dipping side mirror in reverse, oil temp in DIS etc, can be done by a dealer?

Just trying to see, don't really want to spend so much on a genuine ross-tech cable and it was suggested in another thread to avoid fakes... so hoping a dealer I'm buying from can do some simple bits
I doubt a dealer would activate any of these to be honest, and most would defiantly not support them. If you don't ask you don't get so might be worth a try. Prolly worth looking at the VCDS map for a User near you to see if anyone can sort you out.

And yes, 100% avoid fakes. You hear mixed stories from people who use them but for the most part they only use older versions of VCDS that cannot be updated and therefore don't fully support our cars.

Edit: Forgot to mention... dealers don't use VCDS, they have their own official software which functions differently. Things like this (and more) can be completed via ODIS-E/VAS but most Tech's don't know how to perform the changes.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Ah that's a shame. Thanks for the response though

Checked the map and the nearest 3 users either haven't been online for ages, or only have the cable for VWs

Will keep searching and like you say I'll ask the dealer anyway, you never know they might agree

Thanks so much for all of this guidance. You've saved me days already!

I emailed Mac and as you had predicted I was missing a whole host of ZDC files. Why they can't pre-authorize new units they sell and pre-approve the files for download is something for them to work on I suppose.

I have my files now and am registered on their forum too. Yes, autoscan looks reasonably straightforward. I'm guessing there might be a way to create a script to dump the adaptation table values, but for now I'll probably long-hand some important looking ones in 5F and share.

Those green menu instructions are very helpful, as is the warning. Thanks again.

The procedure for activating the Green Engineering Menu on MQB cars is different from other platforms. The one-click function you tried via the ZDC file is for A1/4/5/6/7 and Q Cars. Our MMI3G+ is very different but Audi has labelled / given it same name as previous generations.

To activate this you need to set "Developer mode" within control module 5F to Activated via Adaptations. Trying this via VCDS or VCP (when in standard mode) will return a request out of range error, so you need to do the following:
  • Select Control Module 5F
  • In Basic Functions select Connect
  • Under the Basic Function Box and next to the Diag. Session at the bottom of the screen, change the drop down option from Standard Diagnose to Engineering Mode.
  • In the Advanced Functions Box, select Sec. Access
  • Enter 20103 as the security access code
  • In the Advanced Functions Box, select Adaptation
  • Change N44 ID9279 Developer Mode to Activated
Disconnect VCP from the car and three finger restart the MMI. When the unit has restarted press and hold the back button + the bottom right selection button until the green menu shows up.

Engineering Mode Sessions within VCP are Dangerous! Be very careful how you use this mode as it can brick control units if you are not sure about what you are doing.

ZDC files. When I was first activated in version 4 I had access to approx 20 ZDC files. I needed to email support and request access to the others I was entitled to according to my licence. Once complete I had access to approx 175 files. I would email support again. A VIM Licence adds another 25 ZDC files to this and a EDC flashing licence adds even more.

Would be great to see an auto scan from your car. Auto Scans are are more long winded procedure in VCP than VCDS but you should be able to work it out :) If not then give me a shout. Would be grate to see some adaptation maps also but this is a process I am working on at the moment as it's not a default feature. This is where VCDS shines.

Reactions: DJAlix
Had a good poke around today. Green menu is active (looks like it is left bottom plus menu, not right).

I have some interesting network options in here that are maybe getting me closer to what I want. Final goal is activating some kind of a data connection without the sim slot, which we don't have in Canada. Haven't done anything more right now as it's getting late and I'm scared to death of breaking something in there :)

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green2.jpg
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green3.jpg
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green5.jpg

Also attached are some images of 5F adaptations to the vehicle configuration, vehicle function list, and an autoscan. After data activation (if it ever happens), Google would be nice, and there are certainly some "online" flags in here that I'd expect to be "1" in the UK that are "0" here.

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc1.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc2.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc3.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc4.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc5.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc6.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/fl1.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/fl2.png

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/autoscans/autoscan_20160125_1909.txt

Last edited:
Am I reading right that you can enable Google search or internet function on MMI Plus?

I coded my previous car for needle sweep and visual parking. Was easy to do.

Very interesting thread, keep up the excellent work.

Had a good poke around today. Green menu is active (looks like it is left bottom plus menu, not right).

I have some interesting network options in here that are maybe getting me closer to what I want. Final goal is activating some kind of a data connection without the sim slot, which we don't have in Canada. Haven't done anything more right now as it's getting late and I'm scared to death of breaking something in there :)

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green2.jpg
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green3.jpg
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/images/green5.jpg

Also attached are some images of 5F adaptations to the vehicle configuration, vehicle function list, and an autoscan. After data activation (if it ever happens), Google would be nice, and there are certainly some "online" flags in here that I'd expect to be "1" in the UK that are "0" here.

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc1.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc2.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc3.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc4.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc5.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/vc6.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/fl1.png
http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/adaptations/fl2.png

http://portcharlottevillas.com/vcp/autoscans/autoscan_20160125_1909.txt

Not had a TechPack car to use VCP with as yet. Some interesting information from the green menu's, seen the adaptations via VCDS before but just noticed something I cannot believe I have missed... Mirror Link!

Edit: In fact, you have a MMI/MIB unit I have not seen before... a 8V0035047B

Last edited:
Am I reading right that you can enable Google search or internet function on MMI Plus?

I coded my previous car for needle sweep and visual parking. Was easy to do.

Very interesting thread, keep up the excellent work.

Actually at this point it would be nice to have Google Maps and Audi connect, which I think Europe has already. 'Google' for me only means that for now, unless someone else knows any better.

Reactions: ChiYoung
any way we can see coolant temp, or coolant level, or oil level in DIS via VCDS ?

I found those values as part of the VCDS OBDII monitoring option yesterday, any way to get them to display in real time in the DIS ?

Reactions: Fiddie
Anyone have the Security Access codes to "14 - Suspension Electronics"

any way we can see coolant temp, or coolant level, or oil level in DIS via VCDS ?

I found those values as part of the VCDS OBDII monitoring option yesterday, any way to get them to display in real time in the DIS ?
Not seen away for coolant temp or coolant level. Oil Level is something I have been working on for a little while and cannot get the menu to pop.