Xenon height adjustment, when to use manual adjusters?

MxGaza33

Reaction score
After driving my newly purchased S3 in the evening into an area with no streetlights I quickly noticed how the headlights are pointing so low it was quite worrying! The car is on lowering springs so it would seem they haven't been set up afterwards unless there's a button on the dash somewhere I'm not seeing!

The auto leveling seems to be working fine as when the lights turn on in the driveway you can see them scan up and down. Can I just adjust the lights with the manual adjusters in the engine bay or will this mess up the auto leveling? I know there is a calibration mode for the xenon's but not sure if that's only needed for initial setup.

Get it setup correctly in an mot bay & with vcds to set the mode, then adjust to the mot beam check.

Make sure the levelling sensor arms havnt been damaged when suspension done, both are on passenger side, 1 front 1 rear.

Out of interest what does the mode using VCDS do? Does it set the position you adjust it to as the mid point in its auto-leveling range?

Will try and track someone down with VCDS, pretty sure the garages around here would just point it at a wall and adjust it just the same as I would do!

Any mot testing station will have a light beam tester as it is something that has to be tested accurately during an mot test.

Mine xenon headlights also auto-level fine but they are way too low. I just assumed this was to prevent oncoming traffic being dazzled.

What options do I need to go into on VCDS to adjust the lights?

Mine xenon headlights also auto-level fine but they are way too low. I just assumed this was to prevent oncoming traffic being dazzled.

What options do I need to go into on VCDS to adjust the lights?
So you want to get up higher and dazzle a few folks? As NHN says, they need setting up with the proper gear.

So you want to get up higher and dazzle a few folks? As NHN says, they need setting up with the proper gear.

Lol no, obviously not. I was asking which options in VCDS I need to access to adjust the beam...one of my best friends is a mechanic/MOT tester it'll be him adjusting it on the MOT ramp so he'll be able to use the light box thingies to adjust it correctly.

I have this exact same issue. My lights are not as good after lowering the car. Always thought they would "auto adjust" but I dont think they have. I would also like to know what needs to be done in VCDS?

Lol no, obviously not. I was asking which options in VCDS I need to access to adjust the beam...one of my best friends is a mechanic/MOT tester it'll be him adjusting it on the MOT ramp so he'll be able to use the light box thingies to adjust it correctly.

Sorry - misunderstood

Use VCDS to access the auto level. It's self explanatory when in the correct module. RossTech site also give details.

Easy setup method.

Park car right up against a wall. Switch on lights and mark the centre of each beam on the wall.
Drive back 5m. For correctly adjusted beam, use the headlamps manual adjusters so the beams centres are now 5cm below the marks on the wall.
Finish up by existing VCDS set up.

I wouldn't do this way, but they should add on a level ground & empty boot.