Senior Advice Needed

M88UES

Theres Never Enough Power
Reaction score
Hi guys

been on this forum a few year now and always come on for advice and general info.
I do not know the ins and outs of engines or mechanics by any means but have rough knowledge of a bit more than than the basics.

I am seeking some advice from all you guys and some more mechanically minded of you for upgrades and general tuning to my car.

Iv recently had a service on my car and due to my job i travel alot of miles. My car is about a month away from 100,000miles but as my service has shown my brake pads and discs are due to be done but more importantly it looks like il need a new input shaft bearings done in the gearbox. Quite costly if any of you have heard.

Im thinking is it worth selling the car and cut my losses as its only gonna get more problems due to mileage,
or the opposite...new gearbox,pads and discs, and a stage 1 remap.

my only concern is that due to the mileage the remap could tip it over the edge! ha

I have a 2007 170PD engine - A3 sline

My car is same year/model and it's the 170 like yours. I got it remapped and dpf removed almost as soon as I bought it as I hated the "lag" the car had.

I bought the car at around 68k, 11 months ago and it's now at 97k. So in a year it's basically done 30k which is quite a lot for the car and it doesn't help that I haven't been as easy as I could of been on it. The main things I've had done to it are:

- Rebuilt gearbox
- New turbo
- New set of pads
- New clutch
- New Dual mass flywheel
- Also needs a new propshaft/new bushes to stop resonance at 65+.

So basically its a new car, however, in your case I'd say those parts are likely to go relatively soon anyway (but who actually knows, they could last till 200k+), but having the map put on it will definately increase the likelihood of the parts going sooner

Best thing I did was get warrantydrect because they've paid out, but if you do decide to go with them, pay a little bit more and get a higher labour rate (which I didn't).

Reactions: M88UES
As Napree said it could go on and on and on but a stage one remap will hasten any parts on the way out,some members say the remap breaks the engine when theirs goes but I am sure it must have been a matter of time anyway.

Reactions: M88UES
cheers guys.
how much are we talking for most of these replacements?
- gearbox
- New set of pads
- New clutch
- New Dual mass flywheel
- Also needs a new propshaft/new bushes to stop resonance at 65+.

just an estimate to help make a decision