Facelift headlight removal without removing bumper

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
I have undone the top two T30 Torx bolts and the T30 bolt by the indicator. The whole headlamp now wiggles. Will it actually fit through the hole or do I need to remove (or slacken) off the bumper?

I don't have ramps and can't get the car up to remove it.

Is it just a case of wiggling away or is this a fruitless task with the bumper still on?

You will need to get the bumper off a bit at least to remove them! You don't need ramps and it's pretty easy you can get away with just undoing the wheel arch fixings and the top plastic rivet things and unclip the side of the bumper a little the light comes right out then. But if your doing both it would only take a few minutes more to get the whole bumper off.

I was changing my sidelight bulb and the old bulb fell out of the holder and into the headlight!!!! So, I only need to do one so I can shake it out - lol. I'm such a ******....doh!!

My wheel is in the way of the Torx screws on the arch liner (maybe because they are 18"). Perhaps I can jack up one side, remove the wheel, and go that route. Thanks for your help.

Bumper slackened off enough to remove the headlight. There's a lug in the corner that also holds the light in which just needs a firm pull. I can't release the damn indicator wire now - that is on seriously tight.....and it's started raining....***!

and it's now dark that's what usually happens to me anyway lol hope you got it fixed

Nope....I pushed the headlight back in and closed up the bonnet and locked her up for the night! The new house doesn't have a garage big enough yet so I can't work in there. So, I'll try and remove the indicator clip tomorrow and the wide flat connector. Then hopefully I can shake the bulb out and re-fit! What a nightmare just for a new sidelight bulb.....argh! Lol

I was changing my sidelight bulb and the old bulb fell out of the holder and into the headlight!!!! So, I only need to do one so I can shake it out - lol. I'm such a ******....doh!!

My wheel is in the way of the Torx screws on the arch liner (maybe because they are 18"). Perhaps I can jack up one side, remove the wheel, and go that route. Thanks for your help.

I was a ****** x 2 with changing mine buddy. Lol. Lucky I have pre-facelift so I don't need to take the bumper off but it was still annoying none the less! Lol

I can get to all the torx screws by turning the wheel full lock as well so don't need to remove the wheels

Removing the bumper on an A3/S3 is the easiest thing in the world lol... you wanna try taking the bumper off a ****** new (ish) beetle... thats a ballache and a half (as I find out Friday) ;P

<tuffty/>

Removing the bumper on an A3/S3 is the easiest thing in the world lol... you wanna try taking the bumper off a ****** new (ish) beetle... thats a ballache and a half (as I find out Friday) ;P

<tuffty/>

You're right, the bumper is actually very simple to remove. I just don't need to lol!

@Kwistof - good tip about the steering. I used a 90 degree angled socket instead.

I dropped a sidelight bulb into my headlight once too, but got it out using a wooden kebab skewer with some double sided tape wrapped around the end.

I inserted that through the back of the headlight.

If the bulb isn't accessible from there, just thump the headlight with your hand and make the bulb jump around a bit.

Fiddly, but easier than removing the bumper, although that is pretty easy too.

On the light wiring plugs, push them in a bit before you push the tab and then pull, seems to make it easier.

Reactions: s3mad_dude
It's out!!!!!! :-D (the bulb that is!)

The skin of my hand is absolutely battered. That bottom Torx bolt holding in the headlight has half of my skin around it! Lol