Suspension progress or lack thereof...

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
So i decided to make the long awaited start on my new shocks and springs along with my suspension arms today, and all i can say is what a ****** nightmare! pinch bolt was seized but i expected that, hex end snapped so dragged it through with various nuts and washers etc, then i had issues with drop link so managed to undo one bolt and take full lower arm off as i was replacing it anyway. Then i hit another wall with the track rod end, the locating bolt was corroded solid, ended up cutting track rod end so i could get strut out, unfortunately this left it a bit late to take strut to garage and have the wheel bearing swapped over,

I began to build up new shock and spring onto top mount, there is however a slight downside to these new shocks theres no allen hole in the top to assist tightening the top nut, so im gonna have to get the lend of a windy gun to tighten that before i can fit it, ill also get a butane torch and see if that will help with getting the remaining part of the track rod end off the inner tie rod

so one day in and tbh ive not made nearly as much progress as id hoped, but fingers crossed passenger side wont be as bad, as i dont need to change wheel bearing or track rod end..

Drivers side front done, but passenger side has been an even bigger headache, i was up most of the night watching the boxing and having a few beers, but started about 11 this morning, got passenger side stripped down, except pinch bolt is completely seized having to drill it out, but gone through two cobalt bits and not even half way through so far, still got one of the top ball joints stuck too. Also just to add insult to injury the strut top which is mounted with three bolts, well one of them decided to bring the threads out with it, going to improvise and use nut and bolt as replacement

so once i get some more drill bits or find somewhere local that will be willing to drill rest of pinch bolt out for me ill get the passenger side front rebuilt and crack on with the back,

also fitted new caliper carrier on drivers side along with new mintex disc and pads, obviously will add the same to pass side as i can, will get some pics up soon as i can, and update as i get further with it

Dan, I've just done my passenger side new arms.
I couldn't risk my car off the road so I bought a second hand hub, inc caliper, strut, arms the lot.

I removed the lot to a bare hub, then tomorrow I'm going to remove the whole lot from the car and swap the coil over and calliper over.
I will have to cut the track rod end off too, but that's not here or there.

Shame you've already started the passenger you could of bought my spare hub and swapped them over and then sold yours on. Lol

damn shame haha, 5 cobalt drill bits it took me to drill through the pinch bolt and god knows how many swings of the hammer i got the rest of the ball joints out, i did take abit more of the metal then i would of liked on the upright so if i get any knocks ill swap the full thing over, but its all finally done, getting a bit of a noise from offside front, ive either bent the backing plate or the disc needs a good clean.

Literally finished about half an hour ago, done the last corner in the dark with a lamp, doesn't seem to sit any lower yet but i assume it will take time for it all to settle, also found out i need new bump stops for the rear shocks.

I have mate and theres a few issues i need to sort, tracking is out so will need to get that sorted, traction control light kept coming on to begin with, dont think the N/S abs sensor was plugged in properly so fingers crossed that issue is sorted, also think a bit of grit mayt have got onto one of my pads so getting a mild scraping on passenger side lol, so 5 days and its all together but just needs some adjustments,

I did mine to day too dan.
Took 5hours inc a McDonald break.
But the track rod end was seized solid into the track rod!!!
Ended up purchasing a new track rod at £30 (lemforder) and putting that on. Much easier than trying to get knackered parts out.

Mine was grinding, which turned out to be the back plate. Now il still getting a slight knocking. So going to go around both sides tomorrow and double check all bolts.
Tracking on Sunday
New discs and pads next month.
Happy days !!!

Think for some reason my calipers might be sticking as im getting a rubbing on the pads on OSF, just out of curiosity the carriers can be fitted either side cant they? they are a symmetrical piece of metal?

Hmmm, I've never have thought of that.
Interesting although I've never noticed.
Surely yes they should be swappable. It's the same setup after all.
Pads and discs arnt side specific