Help with possible fault required

coreythorny

Reaction score
Hi all.
Not been on in quite a while. I'm getting what I believe to be the start of something failing.
If I am driving and accelerate in gear with say anything over half throttle, get to 3krpm+ then change gear straight into neutral and effectively Coast! the revs drop down to ~600 then blip to ~1200 and then sit at the idle (~750).
This may just be nature of the car, I don't know.

My my initial thought is the PCV valve starting to fail, my car is 57 plate S3 on 43k miles and according to all my receipts from the previous owner, it's still the original valve.
I have started the car and pulled the dipstick, the idle stays fine but if I rev it slightly it will hunt ever so slightly before resting at ~750rpm.

Has as anyone got any thoughts or ideas on this of where to look for the cure?

thank.

Cheers mate. I've found a new PCV unit, the type R version for £42 on eBay. I don't know if its worth buying and changing anyway?
Someone else has mentioned to pull the vac pipes off it one by one whilst idling to see if they're blocked? Not sure if that works or not.

I've also read, a bit off this topic, about the N80 valve, is this worth changing regardless as good practice? I've not found one online for sale so no idea of cost.

suppose its worth trying the vac pipes, problem with mine is its very intermittent so not guaranteed to do it every time, id just order the part, change it and go from there.

Not really sure about the N80 valve, need to do a good bit of reading about this car... been too busy enjoying it since I've had it.

Yeah I agree.

My car is due a good service and I've decided I'm just going to do everything.
Engine oil, filter, gearbox oil, spark plugs, cabin filter, PCV, possible N80, fuel filter, service my ITG intake etc. haldex has already been done.

Does anyone know the best place to get a PCV valve, N80 with new pipe and clips and camshaft follower? I don't live local to Audi but would like a invoice to put with my service papers.