full boost then limp mode

deano1978

different gear
Reaction score
When giving full throttle,like up a hill n over 100mph (open road no traffic) i always get limp mode?
It happened b4 with standard turbo, and still now!

I new lines n hoses,boost keeps to around 1.6 - 1.7
I thought it was over fuelling b4,heavy smoke,but less fuel and no smoke but still does this?

I had an aggressive map prior,what needs upgrading? Dors my avf engine have the 2.5map sensor or 3? If so does it need upgading to 3 or 4bar sensor?

Any other ideas chaps.

My brother had this problem on his 2.0 tdi mk5 golf
Turned out to be a dirty map sensor
He cleaned it and clean the boost pipes and no problems now.

May sound silly but I've always got it when running crap fuel or needing an oil/filter change (probably all just psycological though), if it's the map sensor I'll probably swap mine for 4 bar although I think mine was changed not so long ago.

Yes i did think it was the 3bar.
99% i use premium fuel,and i service roughly 5-8k.

Good call,il give the map a clean n take it from there.
Cheers chaps ;-)

Hhmmm???

How u think i should clean this? Dont appear dirty.

DSC_0741.jpg

Contact cleaner from Halfords mate
Should only be a few quid mate

If you are only making 1.6-1.7 bar then that shouldn't give you limp mode. Have you any idea what the SVBL (Single Value Boost Limit) is on the map. I used to run my BV43 at 1.9 bar . This value is what needs to be exceeded for the car to go into limp mode reporting an overboost problem. I used to run 1.7-1.8 bar target boost 2250-3500 then dropping off to 1.7 bar at 4K , 1.5 bar 4.5K.
The map on your car is definately not right with what it is making power wise. Pity your not closer to me I could have a look at it for you.
As regards the MAP sensor that looks fine, the oil film is from the crankcase ventilation system oil fumes that are passed into the intake to be burnt in the engine. They don't affect the MAP sensor.
You need to do some logs of specified and actual boost and see whats going on, if the specified is not exceeding actual by much the SVBL value probably needs altering.

Karl.

Thanks for input karl,seems like im gona have to get vcds then.
Where bouts you based?

I live near Cannock about 15 miles north of Birmingham, so no where near Brighton.

Karl.

Not that this information helps much (because I have no clue what's with mine either) but mine was both before and after changing turbo too, original thought was the turbo was on it's way out which is why I changed.

From the Ross Tech WIKI

16618/P0234/000564 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Boost Pressure too high
Reduced Power Output

Possible Causes

Hoses incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking
Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) faulty
Boost Pressure Sensor (G31) faulty
Turbo Charger stuck/faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Charge Pressure Control System
Perform Output Test (to check the Turbo Charger)
Perform Basic Setting (to check the Charge Pressure Control)
Perform Pressure Test to locate Leaks
Check/Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75)
Check/Replace Boost Pressure Sensor (G31)
Check/Replace Turbo Charger

You need to log groups 10 and 11 on VAG-COM to see what the turbo is doing.

Karl

Reactions: pauldazzle
Thanks chaps :)
Doin my head in,had some mazda right up my are§e earlier,pulled off kept up with me...limp mode :-(

Plenty of torque,n power,just happens at high speed,NOT even on hill climbs.

Acuator,as its off a different motor, could be?
I believe i turn it a little to make it shorter?

Dont think its sticky vnt as new turbo and do 600 miles a week with some heavy right foot moments.
Hoses cld be,where wld i get the correct fitment following.

Oviously im not flooring it everywhere,so its not a big problem. But there is one, vcds is on the cards...

Came across similar before & I'm sure the guy cured it by lengthening the actuator arm 2 turns at a time.

Shortning brings boost quicker,so lengthen will (should stop over boost)
Wont it delay boost kick in then

It didn't do to me 8l bud,it may only need half a turn, got to remember the actuator adjuster moves a lot for not a lot of effort
When I used to have me MG zs we used to wind em all the way out take it for run if limped straight away take it in half a turn and work from there. Once you got it set right it used to fly

If you want to see the effect of altering the actuator on a BV43 have a look here.

UKpassats.co.uk • Login

I shortened tha actuator on my BV43 when it was fitted to my car when it had a phase 1 map for a standard 130 turbo. The BV43 was lazy and didn't pick up very well, shortening the actuator rod helped that.
Your car appears to be overboosting so lengthening the rod will help to reduce that but if the issue is with the map on the ECU you won't ever get it sorted properly.
The N75 map in the ECU is different to a standard turbo and really helps with the driveability. Until you can log boost and fuelling as well as looking at the duty cycle of the N75 you will just be guessing.
I altered the map on mine probably 20 times before I was happy with it tweaking , boost , fuelling, timing , N75 etc before I was happy with it.

karl.

Reactions: deano1978
My awx 1.9 is doing this now :(
I know the tandem pump is leaking slightly, but I'm going to change all vacuum lines to be sure.
Vagcom it ASAP
And do a service inc fuel filter
See if this helps

I've check the turbo, the shaft isn't slack and spins smoothly, and I did sticky veins me muscle last year,
Might do it again to be sure

I had this on a mk4 VW Golf GT TDI PD150 with 130k on the clock.

The car had recently suffered limping problems due to sticky VNT vanes on the turbo and I paid for the turbo to be stripped down and reconditioned properly. The car ran great for a while but then very similar symptoms returned and the car started to limp again.

Tried a few things to no avail but in the end it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter that was on the way out. After it was swapped out the car ran as sweet as a nut.

J:)