Window rattle

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
Hi peeps. My A4's drivers door window started rattling a few weeks ago. The rattle is mainly heard when driving over rough ground and as you can imagine is annoying the **** out of me. I have noticed though if I put the window down just a touch the rattle stops completely. I picked my car up yesterday from my local dealer as it needed a new battery & I told them the window was rattling when I booked the car in last week. I was in a rush yesterday when I picked the car up & forgot to ask if they sorted the rattle. Driving a few yards out of the dealership my question was pretty much answered as it was still rattling. When I got home and looked at the work carried out on the invoice it just said battery replacement so they obviously forgot to look into the rattle problem. I have to go back tomorrow to pay my bill for the battery (long story) so I'm going to ask why they haven't sorted the problem (I've had a lot of problems with this dealer recently since I bought the car back in January). The car is still under an approved used warranty. What I'm wondering is will this problem come under my warranty? And also has anyone else had this problem and if so is it an easy fix?

Yes virtually all my windows started rattling after about 6 months of having the car. Dealer lubed all the seals up and it is gone.

This has popped up a few times before.
I had a rattle when i first got mine which i believed was the window. But it turned out to be the rubbers rounds the top of the doors.
Buy a can of this: Holts Nylon and Rubber Spray Lubricant [RL2R] Lube | eBay
And spray it round your door rubbers and it will be gone.
Nice one I'll give it a go. Just back from tesco as I was looking to buy a silicone spray but I couldn't find any. I'll give this stuff a go though. Cheers

Door creaking from rubbers affects any car manufacturer and depends how well you keep the seals. Getting wax on them by mistake is quite common and over time they get gunked up etc and it causes creaking. I would avoid using silicone on the seals because whilst it temporarily stops the creaks it will most likely make them worse when the creaking returns.

A good product I would recommend and I used for years is Einszett Gummi Pflege, keeps the seals nice and supple and stops them sticking during the winter months

Regards

Reactions: _Zerocool_
It happened to me when i first got my car and i was told as you said it can be wax off the car shampoo you use etc.. However since i have sprayed some of that silicone spray on them they have been perfect.

Well I took the car back to audi & the technician who had worked on my car said he took the car for a run but couldn't hear the rattle ( was pretty shocked that he couldn't hear it). So we both went for a drive (him driving) and he still couldn't hear it. To be honest I couldn't hear it much myself, it was ******* with rain so don't know if that had something to do with it. So after the test drive the technician said if I think the rattle is getting worse just bring the car back. He also said lubricating the seals might help the problem. The next day I could hear the rattle nice and clear so I tried the nylon and Rubber spray but it has not solved the problem. Today I think the rattle is getting worse but I can't really be bothered going back to audi as I've had a few problems with this car & to be honest I'm getting sick of the sight of the dealership. Anyone on here got any ideas what the problem could be? It's driving me mad now:-(

That was the same with mine. When it rained the rattling stops because the rain gets onto the door rubbers. Have you made sure that you have sprayed all round the top of the doors door rubbers and the rubbers on the pillar inbetween the front doors and back doors.

I had a rattle behind the dash in my car. Took it to dealership and they said it was a coin in my ashtray. I took it out and went for a test. The rattle appeared and the said there, it's the coin! Erm.....coin is in my hand mr!! Then they said rattles aren't covered by warranty!! I stuffed card between the panels to try and stop it but... Now the dash rattles, the door rattles, the centre console rattles, but my baby sleeps! New car tmro....no more rattles (I hope!!!!!!)

That was the same with mine. When it rained the rattling stops because the rain gets onto the door rubbers. Have you made sure that you have sprayed all round the top of the doors door rubbers and the rubbers on the pillar inbetween the front doors and back doors.
Problem solved! Just went mental with the spray lol. Sprayed every bit of rubber I could see and the noise has gone. Car finally feels like a luxury car again. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Reactions: Audi Dynamik