Fitting S3/TT OEM DownPipe - done it ?

brasiliangringo

Reaction score
What an utter **** of a job on the TT. I cut the original one out but replacing with a standard pipe was shocking. ELSAWIN as often is pretty ****e and not entirerly accurate.

According to ELSAWIN I had to lower subframe, remove steering rack bolts (4) OS droplink, OS driveshaft and heat shield.

HOWEVER

The steering rack simply doenst drop enough unless you disconnect from the steering column, then with left hand on the OS brake caliper to pull subframe forward i managed to manipulate the downpipe in from the top with right hand. These f'in twats who design these cars.. The more i work with cars the more they **** me off and the newer stuff is even worse, time to change career perhaps lol!!

Anyone else done this - i suspect most peope only replace to fit aftermarket downpipes (cut original out) and new performance ones usually fit much easier (no ridicuould exhaust hanger and are straigher)

Last edited:
Air chisel through the flexi and cut the hanger with a disc cutter is my normal method tbh... they are the devils own job to do to be fair and you are right... elsa doesn't get anywhere close to reality in this case :/

<tuffty/>

.. and i did this with the head off lol !! I think with head on i would completely remove the steering rack after dropping subframe..

.. and i did this with the head off lol !! I think with head on i would completely remove the steering rack after dropping subframe..

With an air chisel and disc cutter I have done it without dropping the rack bu yeah, its just a ballache to do period! :(

<tuffty/>

How did you refit a standard OEM pipe though ?

Also re head, am planning on putting it back on with exhaust mani fitted and hoping the turbo bolt holes will line up (new turbo) but will test fit 1st without head gasket in place (dont want to damage it) to be sure, but if there's an easier way please advise ? My only concern is i dont want there to be any contact or interference between mani and turbo before i put head bolts in which could prevent clamping the head properly.