cheap fix for notchy gear changes

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
Been suffering with this problem for a few months now and decided to take the a cheap and obvious route - changing the gear box oil. It's made a BIG differance - shifts are now much smoother. The old oil was shot (car has done 147K) and can't believe Audi don't ever recomend changing the oil.

Even better is the fact that the Audi oe oil was half the price of the castrol etc.

What oil is is exactly/rating? I have some castrol left over from another marque car, my gear box is notchy when cold I thought it was just the 6 speed boxs characteristic?

there was no crunching/grinding (so I know synchro is fine). 1st and 4th were a pig to engage, generally shifts were not great.

when you put in the new fluid it takes several days or so to take full effect i.e. notice a differance. it's such a cheap fix and something that SHOULD be a service item.

you'll need approx 2L and make sure you do get the proper stuff - 75w/90 FULL synthetic. Anything else won't do and gear shifts may be worse when cold. I bought 2 X 1L bottles from my local dealer at under £5 each.

I had Fontain change the gearbox oil in my car for Motul stuff and you need 2.6 litres for an S3 (or 1.8T Q). You need very level ground and the ability to raise the car level and a funnel with a long neck I guess, there are two plugs a drain plug and filler plug. you remove both and let the oil drain, replace the drain plug with new washer or whole new bolt and then fill to the lowest point of the filler plug - which is why it's essential you have the car level.

On my car I was having problems getting it into 2nd when cold, it's make the general feel of the gearbox better and now it only takes 2 - 3 shifts to feel fine rather than quite a way, and will always go into 2nd now.

cool, thanks for the info Quick, much appreciated, not sure if I'm up for doin it my self, would probably get somebody else to do it. My car has done nearly 50,000 miles, would you say it would be a good idea for a change? as I'm suspecious about the notchiness on gear changes.

I bought all the bits for doing it myself then realised that I don't have access to anywhere I consider to be flat (and level) enough to do it - then my steering rack broke too so it made sense to get Fontain to do it.

I would say it's worth doing (which Audi don't) and if I keep the car it'd probably be every 20,000 or 40,000 miles.

It's not perfect but it's a lot better than it was and for anyone getting annoyed with their gearbox I'd recommend it - just don't use crap Audi oil when you do it IMO.

I used to use Castrol Syntrax on my last scoobs and it was fine, is this ok to use for Audis.

[ QUOTE ]
I used to use Castrol Syntrax on my last scoobs and it was fine, is this ok to use for Audis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep should be - seems to be the right spec - but I was recommended to go for one of the better quality oils from either Motul or Silkoline.

Do NOT use Syntrax. Although it is 75w/90, it is semi-synthetic and you MUST use full synthetic (use semi and you risk gear changes being even worse when temp. is low).

Just get the Audi oil - cheap, easiley available and you know for sure you're using the right grade oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Do NOT use Syntrax. Although it is 75w/90, it is semi-synthetic and you MUST use full synthetic (use semi and you risk gear changes being even worse when temp. is low).

Just get the Audi oil - cheap, easiley available and you know for sure you're using the right grade oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, i presume the 6 speed box in mine is the same as S3's etc..

NOTE: Most vehicle manufacturers recommend driving a vehicle in tight figure "8"
patterns eight to ten times after changing limited slip lubricants.

Ok I'll get my self down the stealership-Cheers

you're okay to top up with a small amount of syntrax, just don't fill the whole gear box with it!

yeah just I have a stack of it to use, so hence a free fill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll use what I need to though, I've got a dealership down the road, wonder if they will have stock if they never change the gb oil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mine did surprisingly, although it should only take 1-2 days to order in

have you seen my post re. how to change the gear oil?

Hate to say this again guys, but if you going to the trouble of replacing the oil you may as well get the better quality stuff from opieoils and they deliver direct to your door.

Vagman, that post is fantastic - think it's a great how too!