Automatic Lights/Windscreen Retrofit

rhinoman

Reaction score
Accumulated most of the bits for this over the last few months and now the weather is warmer thought I should get round to doing it.

First issue is the mirror fitting.

IMG 1780

Top mirror mounting is the new (out of a TT I think, bought it ages ago on ebay), Lower mount is the one out of my A4. As you can see completely different sizes where it attaches to the windscreen. I can obviously cannibalise bits from the old one but its missing screws etc so not sure it will work.

Any advice?

From what I have read if you want Auto lights / wipers then a new windscreen is required, not seen any done this retrofit with the old screen.

New windscreen, new mirror, wiring harness, new light switch, coding.

Mirrors are two completely different mounts for auto lights/wipers as you can see. You also have auto dimming on your new mirror so another loom for that needed also.

There is a big thread on this if you do a search!!

I have everything except the clip to cover the wires and the repair wires to attach the loom I bought but just wanted to start getting everything in place before I get the windscreen done.

So what you are both saying is the windscreen with the different shading etc for the light/rain sensor will also have a different mount for the mirror, is that right, and then the TT one will fit as all of the auto mirrors have a different attachment?

So what you are both saying is the windscreen with the different shading etc for the light/rain sensor will also have a different mount for the mirror, is that right, and then the TT one will fit as all of the auto mirrors have a different attachment?

Your TT mirror is correct, you need a new windscreen as the mount bonded to it is completely different.

Fortunately my windscreen needs replacing hence what has prompted me to get everything else in place before the change. It's just a shame I could't get all the wiring tested with the new mirror in place before the windscreen change but never mind, it'll work out in the end I expect.

There is a little misinformation going on here so I'll attempt to correct some as I find out more.

Since starting along this route I've realised I've muddled some a3 and a4 threads and instructions and consequently bought bits not best suited or useful for my B7. The TT mirror may well fit an A3 install but not my B7 (not without a different mount at least). Also the seperate light/rain sensor is not used in my B7 as the light sensor is built into some of the B7 rear view auto dimming mirrors (the ones with an on/off switch I think). The ones without an on/off switch I believe auto dim only, this does not need a new screen

The later B7 mirror I bought does also not need a new screen, it comes with a cloth side which butts up against the screen to cover the wiring and a cover plate for the interior side.

Rain sensor I have no idea about yet as its not high up my list of priority. Maybe its another different mirror with a sensor through the screen mount requiring a new screen but that is pure speculation.

The Kufatec B7 harness states that pin 3 from the mirror is a back up signal so that the mirror un-dims when you put it in reverse. I believe this is the case with the earlier mirrors (without the on/off) but with the later ones it becomes the light sensor signal but I'm not sure where to connect it too? Can anyone help with this please...