New A3 Sportsback 2.0 TDI Sport

neil stait

Reaction score
Well I have the new car and I'm well happy

Only had a week.

Plus points - lovely ride and driving position, very smooth and great acceleration, good full consumption 50+

No real negatives apart from as a lapsed Techy the electronics are very confusing for somebody who does not have the time to sit and study the manual

Took ages to get my contacts into the phone , no idea how to dial out and no idea what the numerous fuel consumption figures in the computer mean

So great car , stupid driver basically

Hi Neil,

Glad you like it. I have the same car and can probably help you with a few of your points.

The left hand steering wheel small black know (when turned) shows all driving data:-

The fuel economy readings have two groups - you will see some are tagged with a red "1" and some with a red "2". The "1" tagged data are readings that relate to your current, in progress or just completed journey - that will be average fuel consumption over the journey, the average speed, the duration. All the average mpg readings have a zero icon with oblique through them. I think journeys where you stop the car and restart the journey within an hour or two act as a continuation of "journey 1", rather than a fresh start journey, if that makes sense!

Whereas the red "2" average mpg reading is an average over a much longer period than one journey - since the last time the mpg data was reset. In my car this is about a thousand miles of data. I think you can reset it by turning the small black wheel and pressing it in and holding it for a second or two.

The car also has instant mpg which you can set to be visible while driving if you are fuel conscious.

As for the phone, you should be able to use the big left and right arrows on the left hand side of the steering wheel to select the phone and then scroll through the contacts using the left hand side little black wheel. Making a call is then as easy as pressing the little black wheel in with you finger when over the contact you want to call. Other ways of calling are using the rocker switches in the footwell just above the large wheel and pressing the switch towards "Tel". You can then see "call" on the MMI screen as an option for one of the selection switches around the large black wheel. The commands/functions in the four corners of the MMI screen correspond with the four switches around the largeMMI wheel. So to make a call is the top right button.

You will soon get used to it. It's just very different from a lot of other cars! Less buttons on the dashboard and more multi-function knobs.

I am a ex-techy too and now cope with it, even though my 6 year old learnt it all before me!

Steve

Last edited:
Or I guess you could use voice dialling for the phone?

Tried voice dialling on mine and guess what? Unable to get the right contact. Of course my poor English pronunciation have something to do with it...

Tried voice dialling on mine and guess what? Unable to get the right contact. Of course my poor English pronunciation have something to do with it...

Wasn't an overwhelming success when I tried it either. I don't have any particularly strong accent, that I am award of! The car decided to call someone totally different, hence I recommended manually choosing the contact to dial.

Wasn't an overwhelming success when I tried it either. I don't have any particularly strong accent, that I am award of! The car decided to call someone totally different, hence I recommended manually choosing the contact to dial.

I do have a strong Spanish accent, so sticking with the manual selection, until I can figure out how to change the language of the car :laugh:

Or set the car language to Spanish.
Not sure what the dealers will make of it when it goes in for service, but I don't suppose they use the MMI all that much.

GlosPete have you got a proper Gloucester accent as my car does not understand me

I am from Gloucester and have been told I have a Gloucester/forest accent

GlosPete have you got a proper Gloucester accent as my car does not understand me

I am from Gloucester and have been told I have a Gloucester/forest accent
No I'm not from Gloucester or the Forest (I haven't just got one eye in my head so that rules me out!). Originally from west London so no real accent at all! My TT likes my voice but I can understand that Germany has never heard a Gloucestershire accent. And now I live in Devon so no chance for locals here either :)