Upgrading my Turbo

dennis_S3

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my 2003 S3 Turbo. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade? Am I right in saying the my 225 model has a k04 turbo as standard?

Many many routes my friend.
Whats your current stage of tune?
Budget?
Etc etc
Have you read the stickies as this will be mentioned to!

Reactions: LED20VT
How awesome would it be if it was just a turbo swap !!!

Just for reference though , I'm sure westy got 305bhp with just new standard Ko4 and stage 1 remap iirc. Decent power is attainable with standard turbo ...........?

Sean

He had every k04 mod going,pretty sure he had bigger injectors and more importantly LED washer jets
Cant be stage 1 map though

Reactions: StaceyS3
Just for reference though , I'm sure westy got 305bhp with just new standard Ko4 and stage 1 remap iirc. Decent power is attainable with standard turbo ...........?

Sean

Not without a lot of help he didn't and it was peaky power... you will still need all the normal upgrade bits, FMIC, 3" DP

Personally I would rather get a comfortable 300hp from a hybrid than ring the neck out of a std one to do it... plus that figure was achieved through timing advance as the std K04 doesn't flow 300hp of air

<tuffty/>

Sorry I am new to all this. So a k04 hybrid, 3" down pipe and FMIC?

Wil the hybrid turbo bolt onto the std manifold?

Yeh but it will cook itself.
If going hybrid you will need all add on mate.
Manifold, downpipe, catback, fmic, injectors, 80mm tip etc etc
Keeping everything running cool as pos is key!!

Sorry I am new to all this. So a k04 hybrid, 3" down pipe and FMIC?

Wil the hybrid turbo bolt onto the std manifold?

Yes and yes but you will also need larger injectors and a custom map... you would do well to get a Badger5 80mm TIP added to that list too...

Other things to consider if you want to make the best out of it is rods and water/meth injection... there are also a couple of high flow exhaust manifolds available...

You would need to get the fuel pump checked as the cars are old and the pumps are starting to fail

Have a read of this...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/209150-oem-plus-build-2.html

<tuffty/>

Cool thank you. Look very expensive. Might reconsider my options. Only want to get to 300 bhp

To be honest mate you will need to change the turbo for that anyhow. Anyone hitting a true 300 bhp will have a very peaky car. Dont get hung up on figures believe me!!! Its nice to have a target but be realistic.
"If" you hit 300bhp on a standard turbo you will need every single mod they hybrid would anyway. So you would be saving very little really.

And a hybrid at 300bhp would be a lot better drive and quicker than a std k04 at the same power

Tbh mate there are very mixed reviews on ebay set ups. Some good some bad.

Anyone know What happened to welly and his a3 track car as he was looking at this kind of kit

This isn't a 'bolt on' upgrade as you must be aware... you will need a custom downpipe, custom wastegate pipe, larger injectors, custom coolant and oil lines at least... plus custom mapping of course

When most people ask about turbo 'upgrades' the easiest way to help is for you to tell us your budget and power goals...

Chinese stuff like this is cheap and for a reason... you start asking a little too much of it and it will just fail... the wastegates tend to stick or diaphragms split giving uncontrolled boost, turbos have a life expectancy tantamount to winning the lottery and the amount of effort/expense required to get this stuff fitted typically means its more cost effective to go for proper kit...

If you are doing the work yourself and are confident of your fabrication skills and don't mind the car being off the road 6 months of any year then its possibly worth a punt but if you are having to pay someone to fit all this I would avoid like the plague...

You really need to stop thinking you can do this on the cheap (this is the impression I am getting from the posts here) as it will only end in disappointment... there are tried and tested ways to get more power from these cars and for your own sanity (and ours when you start asking why it doesn't work) I would stick to a hybrid K04 of some description if you want the minimum of fuss as all the parts can be bought off the shelf and fitted by anyone competent with a spanner... on a healthy engine (very important) and the right selection of mods you can net 340-350hp with relative ease

<tuffty/>

Tuffy - Thank you!! You know your stuff I am new to the VAG world and have been racing and old skool fords for years but kids now force a road project.

I have the following mods done so far. - excuse the prices. its from my log.

• AMD tunned - Stage 1 remap. - www.amdtunning.co.uk £299
• K&N Induction kit £121
• Custom Made Stainless Steal Exhaust (cat back) £340
• 4 x Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tyres £411
• Cam belt change £279
• Full Service, (New Sparke plugs, oil, fuel, air filter) £192
• Mintex Racing Drilled and grooved Front & rear Disc's and Pads £239
• Apex Racing Springs £149 (lower by 15mm appox)
• New Battery £89
• Forge Short shift Quick shifter £79
• R Spec Racing Dump Valve £69
• Carbon Canister Silicone hoses £44
• Silicone Breather hose £27
• Silicone Cank case brother hose £29
• Silicone Intake breather hose £28
• Silicone intake hose (off the turbo) £99
• Passenger door lock £15
• Boot realise button £17
• Breather hose £22
• Pressed Metal number plate £29
• Headlight switch £13
• Cold air heat shield (not fitted yet) £39
• Cam shaft sensor £39
• Cooling temp sensor £18
• new wipers £27

I am getting 254 BHP and 270 lb.ft

What do you suggest next? I would like to get over 300 BHP and good torque. Prob got about £1500 to spend

So you would need
Manifold b5 / relentless v 4 dont ask which is best
3 inch Downpipe
Injectors
Fmic
80mm tip
Hybrid turbo

What do you suggest next? I would like to get over 300 BHP and good torque. Prob got about £1500 to spend

Start saving :)

£1500 won't get you to 300hp if all you have is what you have listed... and if your dump valve is a Forge split-r (assuming thats what you mean by R spec) then toss that in the bin and get a brand new OE one or if you really must have after market then a new version 007p or 008 from Forge

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys.

Can you recommend anywhere to get the following,
80mm TIP
downpipe

Why does everyone rate the k04 hybrid turbo over say the garret or T4?

80mm TIP from B5, ordered and received in a few days with mine, top service (probably take longer for me to get round to fit it though)

Why does everyone rate the k04 hybrid turbo over say the garret or T4?

Different ball game entirely... you say you want 300hp and have next to no budget... the K04 hybrid (with a little more cash) will fit the bill as it uses off the shelf upgrade parts to get the best from it... going Garrett is fine but it will require a full custom build costing more than you probably paid for the car...

Ko4 hybrids are good for 350 ish hp... no point in going Garrett for that power... if you want more then Garrett all day long... I have had both a GT3071 and now a GT3582... its not cheap though...

You have said you have 1500 quid... that would just about buy the turbo if going Garret...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: daz-20vt
For me the beauty of a hybrid is being able to build up hardware slowly so its jot such an outlay of money.

K300 is a K03 fitment so you don't want that... K418B is a baby hybrid rated at 310hp with supporting mods whereas the K418T is the full fat hybrid rated at over 330hp... the K418T sees 340ish hp typically with supporting mods...

Key to all this new power though is a sound engine... the ability to make power is not just dictated by the bits you bolt on... these cars are old now and engine wear/condition varies wildly...

With this level of tuning you also need to consider rods as no tuner in their right mind would tune a hybrid to its full potential unless you have had rods fitted

If you are not fitting rods (don't know what mileage your car is) then you would be better off going for the K418T... it can be turned down and might make 300hp on less boost without over doing it and moving into rod lottery territory

<tuffty/>

Do you have rods by the way?
Being nosey

Tuffty have you been in a car with either of these turbos?

Tuffty have you been in a car with either of these turbos?

No... I don't normally go out in customer cars and tbh I can't really tell if they are fast or not unless I have been driving the A2 to Bills... lol

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Adam P, daz-20vt and Sandra