New S4 owner with an exhaust question

Anees

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a Audi S4 Avant in black last week to replace my BMW 335D. Loving it so far however the S4 just looks so plain and too understated - but that will change soon! lol

My previous Audi was a B7 RS4 (which was sadly stolen in April :( ) and the S4 although feels quick the exhaust is just too quiet and has no drama; kinda part of the reason why I am selling my 335d - amazing car but just a little boring.

I want an exhaust on the car ASAP.

Now when I had my RS4 the common upgrade was a Milltek and I see with an S4 its a similar story. I have read that there are quite a few quality exhaust systems available in the USA such as AWE but I would prefer to stick to something I can easily get in the UK.

I remember reading some good stuff on rs246 about the Scorpion RS4 exhaust with excellent welds and a great sound.

I have had a look at the Scorpion website and noticed that they actually do seem to offer a Audi S4 exhaust!

AUDI - S4 - B8 Model

They have a you tube video too of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trdJ_UsTrWU

The full exhaust system is available for just over £1400 and unlike the Milltek it is a full 2.5" through system so should flow very well too.

Dyno graph:

1293_02~_s4%20b8%20cat%20back.jpg

My car is an s-tronic so I am a little worried about drone however they do come with there own front pipes so hopefully this should cancel it out.

The Milltek system is a little more expensive but I have used them before and they have been great, but I am really tempted to try the Scorpion.

Has anyone experienced the Scorpion exhaust on an S4?

Thanks for your help.

Anees

Welcome to audi-sport.net Anees. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks for the welcome Sandra!

I'll post a new member thread up shorty....

Anees

Milltek is almost 2.5" - it is 2.37" I think and they will have sized it to perform correctly as designed, I always thought that there always needed to be a compromise between good flow and adequate back pressure over the engine speed range. Remember this engine, at higher revs is "pumped", ie has forced induction.

Milltek is almost 2.5" - it is 2.37" I think and they will have sized it to perform correctly as designed, I always thought that there always needed to be a compromise between good flow and adequate back pressure over the engine speed range. Remember this engine, at higher revs is "pumped", ie has forced induction.

True, but both AWE, Scorpion, APR and Stasis seem to have gone with 2.5" designs. The Scorpion seems to be very good for flow and power too (if the dyno figures are to be believed)

The Scorpion looks good value compared to the other exhausts and they have good reviews based on other cars but I can not find any reviews on the B8 S4. I have nothing against Milltek either; I use them on my other car and they are great!

My main worry is drone since the S4 is my daily driver.

To be perfectly honest, any aftermarket "sports/performance" exhaust will be noisier than what was fitted at factory, well for quality sedan/estate cars at least. One big "must have" from the potential customers will be to hear the engine a bit more as well as some extra power, a bonus is usually a reduction in weight, so there will be some drone at certain revs as the entire system - engine+exhaust pass through some of the lower resonant frequencies - fundamental then harmonics, I'm not 100% convinced that my Milltek is "perfect" drone wise, really depends on engine loading as well though, maybe more spirited use of engine revs would avoid that, but I'd get it in the ear for being forceful on other road users if I was not careful! I don't know what an S4 with factory exhaust sounds like though, my old B5 Passat with 2.8 V6 was silent all the way through the normal rev range, so that is all I can compare the S4 with.

Edit:- I though Stasis had quietly gone bust - or have they been saved?