Audi A3 3.2 - low pitch whining/droning noise from rear of car

ceg1805

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope someone can possibly shed some light on this one for me. I have a 2005 A3 3.2 with about 48k miles on it. It has been fully and regularly serviced and so should be in good order. I have recently started noticing a low pitch (hard to describe) droning/sort of whining noise which is definitely coming from the rear of the car. At first I thought it may be a bearing on its way out but it doesn't really sound like that. Tends to be most audible at mid revs. I know its hard to diagnose from such a vague assessment but does anyone have any thoughts? There isn't any obvious wear and there is no vibration through the car. Could it be a drive shaft on the way out?

thanks in advance for any help,

Chris

Could be the tyres ? budgets usually make a noise

Wife / Girlfriend ?:motz:
Could it be the the exhaust , mine drones in high gear , low/mid revs .

Haha love it Mike X and thanks for the input guys. The tyres are only about 1k in from new and are the same as the factory fitted ones so I think they should be OK unless there is a defect. They were fully balanced and tracked as well at last service.

Maybe I'll jack it up this weekend and take a look at the exhaust, if not its going to have to be one of those very expensive investigative trips to the garage....

The other possibility is either the rear diff or Haldex.

I have this on my s3, my thoughts were wheel bearing but usually comes and goes around corners , this noise is constant. Really annoying to!