Spare Tyre Question

Dazzle89

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Looking on the online configurator it says about the space saving spare wheel but i cant find any mention of that in the catalogue?

Is it just a normal spare wheel? if not ticked what difference will there be? Would the boot be lower?

No it's a space saving spare wheel (clue's in the name!). But although it is shown as £0 you have to order either the Audi Sound System, Towing Equipment or B&O Sound System to get it.

Full size spare wheel is AFAIK the standard fitting. I wondered why the space saver had to be combined with one of the above but it's because the sound systems use the space inside the space saver wheel to fit the sub-woofer and the towing equipment needs the extra space for the removable tow ball.

Reactions: veeeight
I have a space-saver spare with my current 184 quattro but I did not need to order it specially. I only have the standard sound system, no *** or B+O. Perhaps because it's a quattro. I don't think any A3s come with a full-size spare. My previous 8P (non-quattro) also came with a space saver spare. I have a steel wheel with a correct size tyre which I tend to take (in a large plastic bag inside the car) when I take my car on the long journeys to Germany for example.

If you look at page 20 of the latest August 2012 Price and Specification Guide for the A3/S3 it says that all A3s come with a Space-saver spare.
This Price and Spec Guide can be downloaded from the Audi UK website and tends to be more accurate than the online configurator.

The standard offering if selected is the space saver.

I believe a full size steel or alloy would physically fit in the boot well on front wheel drive but only with the boot floor in the upper position. 4WD are restricted to upper boot floor position anyway so that probably would not fit.

If you look at page 20 of the latest August 2012 Price and Specification Guide for the A3/S3 it says that all A3s come with a Space-saver spare.
This Price and Spec Guide can be downloaded from the Audi UK website and tends to be more accurate than the online configurator.

Yes it seems you can't believe everything (anything?) you read from Audi. Quite why they specify Space Saver as an option on the online configurator whereas you rightly point out that it is standard is beyond me. Thanks for putting me right!

The UK brochure and configurator is translated/derived from the German version, so this is where anomalies creep in.

What is option or standard in the German market, must be unpicked or added for the UK market, and things get missed.

Hence items like full size spare/space saver etc., and brushed steel footrests for the S3 incorrectly make it into the UK brochure and configurator etc.