Tyre Question

sbarker

Reaction score
So just cleaned car and noticed screw in tread !

Front passenger side, screw was on inside shoulder / last tread line. Have removed and pressure seems to be the same at the moment after about 2 hours. Screw is 10mm long so quite small, and I have measured tread block it was going between and this is 5 to 6mm deep. Screw was not fully in so I am thinking possibly gone into the tyre base by maybe 2mm or 3mm ....

I am not sure how think this part of the tyre actually is ? Anyone know ?

I have the Xl rated Contisports or my S3 ... so I am hoping the XL may mean that the rubber is a bit thicker too ??

Should I be worried is pressure stays the same ?

yes but if there is no pressure loss and I can't see any damage from outside at all other than where I took screw out I assume its ok ? That's what I was trying to establish how thick the rubber is if its gone in about 2 - 3mm do I have room to spare ....

I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like the screw as you say was quite small. If it was damage in the sidewall thats different.
XL rated tyres usually have reinforced sidewalls and there is little difference in the tread thickness.

If it's gone past the tread and into the carcass I'd personally get it repaired or replaced. If it's too close to the outside of the tyre it won't be repairable though. Really depends on how much you want to chance it I suppose.
As tyres are the things that make you stop/go and keep you shiny side up I'd take no chances.

I had something similar on tyre before I took it for repair they looked at outside and said no air coming out so didn't need repairing ...... so I don't think they repair unless it has actually gone through .. if it hasn't what would they repair ? Like I said it must have gone in about 2mm into the carcass but how thick is it ? Surely if its like 5mm thick its ok ?!

Tyre and car are only 4 months old and done 2000 miles so don't really want to bin tyre !

People get screws/ nails in tyres all the time. When they are repaired they drill a nice hole in the tyre to pull through a rubber plug and this has the patch attached to it. This potentially causes a lot more damage to the tyre carcass than the original nail or screw which might only be a very small hole.
The plug and patch only serves to keep the air in the tyre it doesn't add to the strength of the tyre. So if the screw was in a place where it could have been fixed I would say it would be good.
http://www.hometyre.co.uk/services/puncture-repairs/
If you really are unsure then replace the tyre, Tyreleader.co.uk have some pretty good prices.

Does anyone know how thick the actual carcass is that's my real question ?

You can get a good idea of the relative thickness of a tyre from this.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/how-a-tyre-is-constructed.htm
Assuming the tread depth is 7-8mm at the edge of the tread the actual tyre is likley to be something like 15mm thick if you are measuring at a point where the tread block is.
The only way you are going to accurately find the information you want is to do a bit of an autopsy on the tyre.
If you are not sure or happy replace the tyre, personally from what you have said I would be OK with it.

Thanks looking at this picture I think the screw went in somewhere between the number 1 and number 5 on the top photo it was in one of the sipes. The depth of the rubber at the side I measured and was 5 - 6mm deep ie in the sipe and like I said the screw from top to bottom being 10mm long ... so as I could see at least 2 mm of the screw poking out this is why I think its only gone in 2mm to 3mm maximum...

So if that's the case and looking at the picture I can't see the benefit it getting it plugged as this will not add any strength to this ?

Checked pressure and not a loss of anything at all over 24 hours, so hope this is ok. Will keep eye on it. I check my tyres every day anyway as so paranoid about this kind of thing

I would perhaps swap the tyre to the rear and not keep it on the front. Take it easy for a while and see if it loses any pressure, if not then it didn't go all the way through. If it's near the shoulder they wont repair it.

Go to a tyre depot/garage and get it looked at rather than asking people on the internet that can't even see it.
If there's any doubt whatsoever just repair/replace it, why risk it if your not 100% sure?
I put on a new rear tyre a few weeks ago after picking up a stray screw and wasn't repairable, yes it was annoying replacing a tyre that still looked new and had tons of tread but I've now got peace of mind.

Reactions: kalniel, batch and Simon L
I wouldn't put the tyre on the rear, better to have it on the front.Much easier to control a vechicle with a loss of pressure in a tyre if it's on the front rather than the rear, also you will feel it sooner if it is on the front.

So as I said I checked tyre and all seems ok but yet to drive ... I have put some high temperature rubber glue in the little hole and also in the sipe (that's why it looks wet in photo). I took a picture of the tiny screw and the area on the tyre where it went in. I have tried to mark the kind of area in red in photo below where the screw went in . As I said this in the inside of the fronts on my ContiSportContact 5's. The Sipe is 5- 6mm deep where its marked, the rain channel on the tyre is 7mm deep as I have only done 2000miles on the car since I bought it new. The bit of the screw that went it must only be 2-3 mm deep. I am thinking just to leave alone and watch ...

IMAG0387
IMAG0389

I would say that if you took that to a tyre place with a puncture they probably wouldn't have repaired it. It's borderline as it's close to the edge. However that screw really is small and personally I would be happy to drive on that. Other people mght not and I can see your in the middle.
Little point in putting glue in the hole really.
You have two options, either live with it or replace the tyre.
Not sure what size tyres you have on your car, did a quick search and it seems 18's are 225/40/18. I use Tyreleader.co.uk

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/continental/conti-sport-contact-5/225-40-r18-92y-116198 £80 delivered for one of those. Another £10 to get it fitted at your local tyre place so £90 to fix.

I am going to live with it and see what happens for now .... like I said I really don't think it was in very far ... so much so that if it had come out by itself I wouldn't see and hole at all in it .... it was a very tiny tiny hole as you can imagine as the screw thread is very narrow ... so I'll see .... considering how it is I can't imagine it will suddenly loose all pressure I would hope ....

Glue was thought of maybe stopping any water penetration maybe but then

There is every chance that would have come out on it's own, as you say it can't have been in deep because it's not that long.

Exactly and it was not fully pushed in to the tread so I think it had just happened, I had driven 30miles that day so that was the maximum distance it could have been there, looking at the condition of the head of the screw I think it was almost certainly 'just happened' ie just before I stopped especially as it was still proud of the tread.

Not mentioned this before but I do actually have tyre insurance so I can get it repaired / replaced .... its 5 tyres in 3 years, so I will see what happens. I won't be out of pocket its just the hassle etc of getting it changed ... and they fact I could change it needlessly and drive out of the garage and pick up another ... so I am sort of saying I only want to swap if I need too but at least it won't cost if I do need too.

I'll be driving it Sunday 40 miles on Motorway and A roads so will check before and after and monitor

The glue will do nothing but going by your stated tread depth and that screw you've possibly got another 5mm before it holed the carcass although that would be a guess. You may be ok running it at normal speeds, wouldn't recommend banging in some laps of the Nurburgring though