B5 S4 turbo noise

crazyfst02s4

Reaction score
my 02 s4 made realy great power more than normal and now my left turbo sounds oddly like a super charger, has anyone had this problem.

not had the problem,, but if it were me i would be checking if it could be something like the boost management mechanical side, like diverter valves, n75, wastegate, and any of the many sensors the computer is clever and will try compensate.

another thought sometimes running lean feels like theres more power.

get it checked over, if your running lean for some reason that could be expensive

yeah O2 sensors seem to be ok boost is 18 lbs and steddy no EML other than the noise seems to be fine

93 octane what is your boost and how long have you had this your noise

What are you doing running standard fuel??? Crazy man - ONLY RUN SUPER with that motor... you are not only loosing performance but possibly damaging the car.

Optimax is always the recommended. Some say Tesco99 is really good... I still with the well trusted Optimax... safe reliable power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The S4 is configured for 95ron fuel though isn't it?

Why would using fuel other than Super/optimax etc damage the engine?

I only had car less than a week but i've been using 95 ron fuel with no problems??

I 've been running nothing but the Tesco 99 RON super motion lotion for about 6 months now and highly reccommend it! previously i'd been on BP Ultimate but the Tesco stuff is easily as good, and cheaper usually too. deffinitely noticeable difference in economy, smoothness even a smidgeon of performace, just feels a bit pokier (possibly psychological but it feels a bit pokier to me!)

Well - if you are running poor fuel you will get detination/engine knock. Luckily for us the VAG engine management system is very efficient and looks after our motors and ******* the timing to prevent any serious damage... thus reducing economy, performance and RISKING damage...

Never run a turbo motor on anything less than super... Optimax or higher preferentially.

ok i am running the best fuel available at US pumps i dont think that is the problem the noise however is very odd i have only had it for a week and i just have come to the conclusion that i need to get some K04's does any on know a good sorce

Yep everyone i know who has a turbo'd car only used optimax or 98+ ron fuel. Prolongs the turbos life, generates better efficiency for the engine i.e. mileage etc. The 99 ron tesco fuel is a bargain!

I always thought it was marketing crap and 97+ fuel wasn't worth the extra money. You'd recommend it even in a 2.8Q ?

And you think it would give better economy in a non turbo? There must be 2.8 owners here running super fuel.

i run the 99RON tesco motion lotion in my 2.8Q and would say yes i've def noticed a difference.

Am going to look at an S4 on saturday tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and it too will also run on nothing but the good stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
my 02 s4 made realy great power more than normal and now my left turbo sounds oddly like a super charger, has anyone had this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an air leak - split F hose perhaps leading to over spinning of the turbos