B5 S4 Turbo rebuild

Crash

Reaction score
EDIT: I've found a company called click4warranty.co.uk who will cover my car against 'the breakdown of insured parts' including wear and tear. The turbocharger cover costs an extra £10.50 per year. I know many warranty companies will put the turbo failing down to 'wear and tear' and refuse to pay but surely this company can't refuse a turbo failure claim due to them covering wear and tear? What do you guys think.

its an engine out job to change them, so your probably talking 2 days labour, maybe 3 if the garage is a bit **** or likes to milk it.

If we assume £40 an hour that's nearly a grand in labour alone.

The turbos themselves i'm not sure on, your talking 700quid each for new ones (ie k04's) but a reconditioned unit will likely be a good bit cheaper than that.

New K04's are over 800 quid each.

About 18 months ago I paid AET 1050 quid (pound button doesn't work on my laptop!) to refurb my K04's - but I expect the price would be very similar on a K03. That included at least one compressor wheel and new shaft I think. They were ******!

I got quotes from all over. The cheapest were approx 300 per turbo if they didn't need any major work, and that shot up to over 600 per turbo if there was significant damage.

You do always need to refurb both turbos though, as they need to recalibrate the actuators.

I'd also recommend staying well away from AET as about 150 miles after I refit the K04's one exploded dramatically and turned day into night!
They replaced them FOC, but wouldn't pay a penny towards the engine pull, leaving me a further 1300 out of pocket. C*nts!!!

There are loads of decent K03's available as more and more people upgrade to K04's. Best place to look for them is on the Wanted sections over on AudiSRS or RS246.

S4 have KO4s? though they were KO3s.

get some GT28s in there and be done with it!!! if you are having the work done then you may as well upgrade!!

Yea I'd love to upgrade, but I'm quite young so I doubt the insurance would like me putting upgraded turbos in! Also perhaps I should have mentioned this, I dont actually have blown turbos but I'm buying an S4 with around 100k Miles on the clock and I want to prepare myself for the worst! Is that at all synical?! I'm going to get a complete silicone hose kit and make sure that all the major points of failure are replaced with new parts but I'm still somewhat concerned!

Early failure on the S4 is usually caused by turbo overspeed from boost leaks. If you fix those the turbo should last a normal life. From what ive seen with 1.8T's the turbos tend to start getting a little tired somewhere around 140k. So assuming no boost leaks, you should be good until then.

Jcb: yer they do run k03's as standard, but the k04 is the same price new, and if your replacing them, its silly not to fit k04's

I'd also doubt that mr insurance would have any clue whatsoever on the part number of the turbos on the S4 motor, so should you happen to fit some k04's, no-one would be the wiser, as they look pretty much identical externally.

EDIT: I've found a company called click4warranty.co.uk who will cover my car against 'the breakdown of insured parts' including wear and tear. The turbocharger cover costs an extra £10.50 per year. I know many warranty companies will put the turbo failing down to 'wear and tear' and refuse to pay but surely this company can't refuse a turbo failure claim due to them covering wear and tear? What do you guys think.

I had a policy with Warranty Direct when I first got mine. They paid out for turbo replacement, but it took forever. I was without a car for over 2 months while they sorted it out.

Also make sure the engine isnt ticking. Some S4's and RS4's have had cam failiure at very early mileages. Check out AudiSRS for interesting reading