Ecs Light On

AY4

Reaction score
Hi. I've looked through various threads on this but have not found anything that relates to my specific problem. Up until yesterday my car (1.8T) was running fantastically. Then the yellow ECS light starting flashing. Under acceleration the engines bogs down and starts to splutter. If I am gentle with the accelerator the car reaches 80mph very smoothly, but if I push on the throttle a little harder it bogs down again. The owners manual says that this warning light refers to a catalytic converter issue. I have had a REVO stage one remap and up until yesterday I was very pleased with how the car was running. I run on only 97RON fuel and the remap was done taking this into account (I haven't used a lower RON fuel since the remap). The car will also bog down when accelerating off a roundabout or from a junction...but again, if I am very gently with the throttle it picks up smoothly, if not, slowly...which is great except that the car behind me starts to catch up very quickly. I hope to get the car looked at tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what my problem could be? Thank you for your replies in advance.

I think this is one of those issues where its best to wait until its been scanned by vcds or similar and see what that says rather than throwing guesses at what it could or couldnt be. Hopefully something simple!

Reactions: Gaz170
I think this is one of those issues where its best to wait until its been scanned by vcds or similar and see what that says rather than throwing guesses at what it could or couldnt be. Hopefully something simple!

I'm hoping that too!!

All sorted. I was an ignition coil on cylinder 1. So had all 4 replaced. Running luverly again. Thanks to Dialynx.

Reactions: dieseldoos
Me too. Apparently it's quite common with the 1.8T. Job including the "chancellors cut" was £161. Labour was gratis.