ECS Catch Can on 2015 S4

Bob Klein

Reaction score
I installed their complete Kit on my S4 about 1000 miles ago. I basically get no oil in Can but the garage smells oily when the car is parked there. I have gone thru and checked the layout numerous times to make sure it is installed correctly, does any one have any experience in this area? My intent was to keep the Intake Valves from getting caked with Oil from EGR

I've got one fitted. I've also done almost 1k miles and was planning on taking it out very soon to see what my catch is.

I don't have an oil smell but also don't have the car in garage so not sure I can help you there.

Mine is a 2014 S5.

I'm away from home and not back till Saturday I'll update this thread with some pics and info at the weekend.

I question if the ECS Catch Can is of any value, if I am not accumulating oil in Catch Can, it is probably still contaminating the Valves. The strange part is the oily smelling car, I see absolutely no sign of oil around the motor externally.

Mine definitely has oil in it. But not alot I think. I'll know for sure in Saturday when I get home. I'll update this thread with pics and details of what I find. It's good to know somebody else who has it fitted so we can compare.

I believe Audi introduced/implemented its own fine oil seperator system in the PCV on the 3.0 supercharged engine that was ment to already do a pretty good job.

If the ECS catch can only does a little bit more then that's OK with me but like you I feel it might have not have been entirely worth the cost, but every little helps.

Pretty sure my engine does not smell oily though so you might have a problem somewhere that may have nothing to do with the catch can system.

I'll update at the weekend after looking into my can and..... Sniffing around.

Just as an afterthought.

For the OEM PCV oil system thingy there are repair kits, could the OEM system be gubbed? I don't know if that would cause a smell though as I have no idea what symptoms manifest when it's faulty.

But if there are after market repairs then it must be a commonish fault.... But I've never heard of it.

Sorry if it's a bum steer.

https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rkx-audi-3-0t-pcv-assembly-repair-kit

So I emptied the catch can.

1200 miles and 8ml of sludge crap collected and I'm OK with that. The stuff I caught I know would have stuck straight to the inlet side.

I have no discernible oil smell coming from around my car so not sure would could be wrong with yours.

20190210_121928.jpg

20190210_123310.jpg

Mine definitely has oil in it. But not alot I think. I'll know for sure in Saturday when I get home. I'll update this thread with pics and details of what I find. It's good to know somebody else who has it fitted so we can compare.

I believe Audi introduced/implemented its own fine oil seperator system in the PCV on the 3.0 supercharged engine that was ment to already do a pretty good job.

If the ECS catch can only does a little bit more then that's OK with me but like you I feel it might have not have been entirely worth the cost, but every little helps.

Pretty sure my engine does not smell oily though so you might have a problem somewhere that may have nothing to do with the catch can system.

I'll update at the weekend after looking into my can and..... Sniffing around.
I have gone thru the whole Catch Can setup numerous times, it has positive seals, so the oil smell is driving me crazy. I removed it a few days ago and the Oil smell is gone, I did however find about 1 oz of very wet oil in Can this time. The decision to remove it was aided by the warning by ECS on using in below freezing Temperatures. I plan on looking into the situation in Spring. I also plan on finding out more about Audi’s Oil Seperator System.

If the smell has gone once removed then the cause must have been something to do with the catch can system.

Something cannot have been sealed correctly and was venting to the outside, that's the only way you could have been smelling oil.

Are you sure it was 1oz? I think that's 30ml or so, 3x what I had in mine in 1200miles.

How many miles had it been on since it had been emptied?

I'm sure the warning about using it in freezing conditions is because the catch can will also catch water vapour, if this freezes in the pipes or baffles in the catch can it could block them not allowing the pressure to release from the crank case. If I'm worried about it I'll pour hot water on the can before I head out. Or let the car idle and warm up before heading out.

Last edited: