Noisy Back End - A3 Saloon

/dev/null

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering whether anyone else has any issues with noise on the A3 Saloon when on rough roads? Mine seems to be very "crashy" when going over bumps. I've checked the spare wheel is secured in the boot and I've padded out the jack as the holder for that is a bit useless, but it's still present. It's not necessarily over big bumps/potholes etc, just now and again I'll go over a small bump in the road and it sounds like I'm carrying a load of stuff in the boot that's crashing about. It's not a metallic sound, more like something is loose. I've checked everything I can think of though and can't find anything that is.

My saloon is very quiet over bumps, it might be the door seals as Steve has said.

Hmmm... it didn't sound like that, it sounded more "plasticy". I thought it might be the parcel shelf, but that doesn't seem to be loose. I might just get some of that seal stuff and try it though.

I presume trim isn't covered by warranty?

It's an Audi.

My dealer has never shied away from resolving squeaks and rattles for me, including interior trim parts. :)

I might give it a try then! :) Have you taken it in just for the rattles ever, or asked when having something else done?

My local Audi would probably wreck the car then blame it on me! lol

I might give it a try then! :) Have you taken it in just for the rattles ever, or asked when having something else done?

Mostly in conjunction with something else, but if its a major enough rattle, they shouldn't turn you away.

Hmmm... it didn't sound like that, it sounded more "plasticy". I thought it might be the parcel shelf, but that doesn't seem to be loose. I might just get some of that seal stuff and try it though.

I presume trim isn't covered by warranty?
The parcel shelf is made of metal and is welded in place so it is unlikely to be that. Have you tried the trim around it or checked under the rear seats?

Do the rear seats lift up? I tried to find how they might and couldn't work it out lol.

Just an update on this, I eventually got round to taking the car into the dealers for this. Turns out the rear brake calliper was loose and so was banging going over bumps! No idea how/why, but it was fixed under warranty and has been perfect since.

Car was driving fine. Not sure if it's a serious issue or not lol. Just glad that it's sounding like an old bus any more.