Strange sidelight fault...?

T

T8DPR

I have front LED sidelights (error free) as recommended by another forum member, they've been good for a long time, I start the car yesterday and "left parking light" comes up on the dash as it should when a sidelight bulb fails, when I got home though I noticed the bulb itself is actually fine, I'll turn the ignition on (but not start the car) and the lights come on, then the warning comes up and a second later the left sidelight goes out

this is where I'm hoping I can find an answer.. if I get in the car and turn on the sidelights without having put the ignition key in yet, they come on and stay on without fault

its only when I put the key in the ignition and turn the power on or start it, the fault comes up

if there's one thing definitely beyond me its autoelectrics and I know I can probably get answers from a garage but I'd first love to know if anyone else has had this problem and was it easy/cheap enough to sort out, even if it was with normal sidelight bulbs

thanks

Hmmm quite strange.Have you got halogen headlights or bi-xenon and which year a3?

What if you put a normal sidelight bulb back in? Try that and see if it continues to go off once ignition is switched on.

Could also be that the bulb is starting to go faulty, try swapping the driver side one over and see if it happens then also?

As said, try a standard sidelight bulb and see if the fault goes. If it does, my money would be on something wrong with the LED bulbs even if they 'seem' to be working fine.

I have the same issue with mine, front 'right parking light', assuming it's just a dodgy led due to them being a *bit* of a tight fit in the housing.. if the errors a problem, once you've started the car, turn off your headlights for about 5 seconds, then turn them back on :) I have single xenons btw, high beams are halogens. Auto lights till work properly but mine is a 53 reg..

2004 53, there's nothing fancy about my lights at all, pretty standard as far as I know

its the fact that there appears to be no issue whatsoever with the lights, until I turn the ignition to the on position, which baffles me

if I get in the car and turn the sidelights on, they come on and stay on absolutely fine, then I put the key in and the passenger one spits its tampon out

i'll try my original bulbs later

If the small resistor that is wired across the bulb has failed then the light will work but the system will think the bulb has failed as it is now taking too little current.

Same as above and will shut power off if car thinks bulb has gone

Mines doing the same but I have caught one flickering so looks like Il be needing a new set!

that's a ****** shame then, they set off my yellow fogs really well, my original ones will look cack!

confirmed as the resistor on one of the bulbs, back to standard for a bit :(

Just bumped another thread I posted in a year ago

I had an issue with my dashlight fade, where my clocks lights (and stereo button lights) would go dim for no reason when the lights were on

I'm certain this is due to the LED sidelights I'd had fitted. tho they were sold as error free, and for a year they worked absolutely fine, its clear audi's don't like them, now I have standard bulbs in, the dashlight fault I had has now gone

just incase anyone else has had similar issues, there's the solution