Cooling Fan issue.

Ginger9860

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

New on here and recently purchased an S3 AMK 210 :D

I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on my cooling fan situation,

With the engine running up to 100deg the cooling fan is no where to be heard. I have checked the green fuses above the battery and all ok with no corrosion. Further to this i have tested the fan by bypassing the switch in the rad and the fans work indicating a dodgy fan switch. I have replaced this and still we have no fan coming on at high temp.

Is the fan control unit useful in the circuit after the fan switch? Being that the fan switch is not causing the issue i am stumped to what this may be? If the control unit is at fault, i would assume the fan would not work at all whilst bypassing that switch?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jim.

Fan switch on radiator is the likely culprit... Normally check the fans by giving them 12v directly and if they spin up then it's the fan switch

<tuffty/>

Hi Tuffty ,

Thank for your response. I have done this and both fans working. Fan switch is exactly what i thought would be the cause however , i have replaced this and still no joy

is your car not overheating? reason im asking. my car had the same issue and I replaced the fan switch and thermostat, but in the end it was the waterpump.

i had the same problem..I stuck it on vag.com and watched the temp rise, and it was'nt till it reached 105oc that the fans kicked in..didn't overheat just couldn't hear the fan running .maybe let it climb a little more and see if it come on

Yeah i will try that. Its all pointing towards the new fan switch being fault so im going to test it later. 105 seems pretty high for a fan to kick in though.