Dead Led on tail lights

fernando young

Reaction score
Hey guys, today i checked my mom's car, and noticed one of the leds on the tail lights was dead.

is there a way to open it to switch that led.
how hard is it and is it worth to do it? because of course i dont wanna buy a new tail light just because of one led.

its so frustrating to see just one of them off... hahaha

any help will be appreciated! thanks!

IMG 0195

Attachments

• IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 3,810
Don't think they are user replaceable mate, sealed unit. Think it's going to be a new inner unit from Audi tbh

Don't think they are user replaceable mate, sealed unit. Think it's going to be a new inner unit from Audi tbh
Do they do this alot on the b8's?Must be expensive that new unit.

Snap! In the same boat. My local dealer quoted me quite a bit for the inner so I have just ordered a new genuine replacement from the german ebay for £56. Just need to swap the reverse light bulb over from the old one to the new.

This is pi*s poor by Audi if you ask me LEDs should run for 100s hours no issues that was the point of everything going to LEDs more eco friendly use less electric last longer so on

Clearly not

Reactions: sal1m
Its really annoying that you cannot change the single leds, its another great idea like the no dipstick was!... Been there before myself with one blown led and I had to change the cluster!gr

Reactions: sal1m
Snap! In the same boat. My local dealer quoted me quite a bit for the inner so I have just ordered a new genuine replacement from the german ebay for £56. Just need to swap the reverse light bulb over from the old one to the new.
Coventry Audi were no help,wanted £140 for new inner cluster, so bought a 2nd hand hand one for £75. Any link for the german one for the future?

Had this exact issue. There was no way I could see of opening up the unit to replace the faulty LED, and I've happily opened up the headlights on my S4 no problem.

Complained to the dealer, nada. Complained to Audi CS, nada. Ended up buying a new inner light unit.

Anybody solved this problem yet or is it just a case of take a chance on another one from a scrap car ?

I just brought brand new direct from Germany, cost about £56 with postage. For that price, I wouldnt bother risking a second hand unit.

I am going to open my old one with a dremel tho and see whats involved as I have heard there are people who can fix them, so its working out how to open it, and reseal it, and what type LED it is.

I just brought brand new direct from Germany, cost about £56 with postage. For that price, I wouldnt bother risking a second hand unit.

I am going to open my old one with a dremel tho and see whats involved as I have heard there are people who can fix them, so its working out how to open it, and reseal it, and what type LED it is.

Got a link to the one you bought mate? I'm gonna try the warranty card first with a dealer but not expecting much luck.

I have the same issue. Crazy that they're not lasting.

Well mine has been sorted today, new LH inner unit and seals for both replaced.

Apparently this is the 2nd time my car has needed the seals replacing due to water ingress into the bootlid.

Hi Guys,

My car has done the exact same only a question i have is have any of yous retrofited LED number plate LEDs recently.

Also can you attach the link for the german tail lights?

Are they good quality?

I heard from the Audizine forum of a guy that did this repair. He opened the plastic hotweld of the lens to the back housing by freezing the light so it was making the hotweld brittle and then popped it open with a flat blade driver.