Looking to get some extra horses out of my TFSI , what's the score guys.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really , i am looking to get myself organised for next summer when i can get some engine improvemnets done on my 2.0tfsi engine and was hoping to get a better idea of what i can expect to get and approx costings for said work.
As present its a 220bhp BUL engine and lets say i dont want to go mad on it but maybe with the right combination of mods would 280 - 300bhp be realistic .
I still want it to be driveable and be reliable but have the potential for when i get the right foot itchin for a bit more performance.

Any suggestions on the best way forward to obtain the desired end results.

look forward to some feedback
rob

Front mount intercooler, a proper cold air intake, less restricted performance exhaust followed by a remap should get close the 300 bhp mark I think. now get your wallet ready Mr :laugh:

Reactions: Av4nt
OH and don't forget to put money aside , cause with these your clutch will be killed in no time, so worth get a upgrade on that too.

thanks for the repsonse, any ideas on ££ss for this sort of work, i have a few moths to start stashing away the cash so need to have some ideas on amount.

As in the title really , i am looking to get myself organised for next summer when i can get some engine improvemnets done on my 2.0tfsi engine and was hoping to get a better idea of what i can expect to get and approx costings for said work.
As present its a 220bhp BUL engine and lets say i dont want to go mad on it but maybe with the right combination of mods would 280 - 300bhp be realistic .
I still want it to be driveable and be reliable but have the potential for when i get the right foot itchin for a bit more performance.

Any suggestions on the best way forward to obtain the desired end results.

look forward to some feedback
rob
You'll struggle to see more than 270ish stage 2+ really, but your torque should be around 320 lb ft. Anything more than that and you'll be looking more into k04 territory really. But as mentioned above, clutch is the main thing first as mentioned above :)

thanks for the reply craig, just to be 100% on this whole stage thing, what exactly do the differing stage levels consist of.
I was thinking that maybe a good solution would be to pickup a reasonable condition short motor and then build up from there, keeping my original low milage lump untouched for future refittment .

so many differing avenues to explore on this.......errrr my head's starting to ache again.

rob

thanks for the reply craig, just to be 100% on this whole stage thing, what exactly do the differing stage levels consist of.
I was thinking that maybe a good solution would be to pickup a reasonable condition short motor and then build up from there, keeping my original low milage lump untouched for future refittment .

so many differing avenues to explore on this.......errrr my head's starting to ache again.

rob

I could be wrong on this coz I jumped straight to k04 so someone might be able to improve on this.
Stage 1 is just software
Stage 2 is intake, decat/sports cat and exhaust plus software
Stage 2+ all the above and high pressure fuel pump (some don't upgrade the intercoolers) plus software
Stage 3 upgraded turbo, injectors, intercooler, all of the above and custom software ( I went straight to this as I wanted more from the offset)

Building a block is good as you can pretty much build future proof, then the sky's the limit.

Just while on the subject what is the "legal" flow rate for a cat allowed ?

I usually either keep stock cat or if heavy modding just remove it personally:angrymod:

Just curious if anyone knows.

How restrictive is the standard exhaust?
I decatted my car and kept standard exhaust/filter and notice a difference in pick up.
Toyed with just a remap with a drop in next but stick to standard exhaust until it needs to be replaced from corrosion.
I have a a4 special edition v2 with a BUL engine. Unsure if the exhausts are all universal throughout the TFSI range or not.

The only difference between the exhausts is. The Front wheel drive TFSI has a different layout to the quattro vehicles. With the centre boxes only being the difference. The Audi A4 DTM has 4inch tips were as all the rest have pee shooters.

You biggest gain would be cat less which you already have done. It is suggested to put a flat filter in there as it will help the turbo breathe better and the turbo should spoil better.

Otherwise In terms of exhaust the stock system isnt bad. The 2 main places were power is gained is by the cat and the pipe after that.

Cool thread saves me starting one :) I'm still running my engine in, but I have just bought a 3" downpipe (surprised no one mentioned diameter), decat (both not fitted yet) and already have a drop in filter and silicone turbo intake pipe from 034 which is larger and smoother internally and feels like it picks up quicker.

With a remap in December and the above bits fitted I'm hoping for something north of 250bhp and 300ftlbs. A new clutch most likely will be needed after...

You should be ok with those mods ,mine was 247 bhp and 291lbft on a revo st2 map and panel filter alone ,the revo settings were turned down a bit until the exhaust was fitted too.
Cool mate those figures are good to hear and hope I can match the or even push it a little further.Tempted to do Rick's Unicorn Developments mapping service through the OBD port, as I have very little time to be driving hundreds of miles for a remap. Gonna chat to him soon about it.

I'm just keeping the standard cat back, assuming it shouldn't strangle it as the strangling is usually done by the dp and cat, correct?

That is correct. Considering you going for a 3 inch which is the perfect size for a ko3 turbo there wont be much restriction. Thou your exhaust will get a bit raspy. :)

many thanks for the replies guys on this so far, having thought about it in some depth and read through quite a few similar threads i think i'm going with plan "b".
Whats plan "b" then, well get a decent short motor and get as much done for my £5K allocated budget ( excluding the engine purchase price) as possible. going to do as much of the labour as poss to keep those big cash eating hours down.
I'm in no real rush to be honest as the cars audi warranty doesnt expire until june 2015 so gives me time to source the parts etc and get the uprated engine all sorted prior to fitting next summer.
In real terms if i can get 300 ish bhp with the right mods then i'll be a very happy bod.
I want to keep the cars external looks as sutle as possible , bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing format , some chassis uprating goes without saying really but not going over kill and certainly not doing any tyre stretching etc.
More than happy with my 18" DTM alloy etc ,just suspension uprating allround, some sutle wheel spacers, and a black optics front grill.
Allready have the drilled disks as standard and cant see the point of changing as yet.
rob

many thanks for the replies guys on this so far, having thought about it in some depth and read through quite a few similar threads i think i'm going with plan "b".
Whats plan "b" then, well get a decent short motor and get as much done for my £5K allocated budget ( excluding the engine purchase price) as possible. going to do as much of the labour as poss to keep those big cash eating hours down.
I'm in no real rush to be honest as the cars audi warranty doesnt expire until june 2015 so gives me time to source the parts etc and get the uprated engine all sorted prior to fitting next summer.
In real terms if i can get 300 ish bhp with the right mods then i'll be a very happy bod.
I want to keep the cars external looks as sutle as possible , bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing format , some chassis uprating goes without saying really but not going over kill and certainly not doing any tyre stretching etc.
More than happy with my 18" DTM alloy etc ,just suspension uprating allround, some sutle wheel spacers, and a black optics front grill.
Allready have the drilled disks as standard and cant see the point of changing as yet.
rob

Lots of good advice above.....If I had a few grand to spend. I would firstly drop that sump, exchange the the sump pick up, check cam follower. Then, get myself a good remap from a recognised tuning Company, drop the suspension with new springs or coil overs, RS4 ARB, get some proper VAG 19" boots on and see how it goes from there....all going well, I would then get a sportscat and good exhaust with stage 2 remap.....then after that if I had any cash left from all those petrol station refills....I would check oUT that cam chain / oil pump fix and stock a good clutch in.....and Robert is your Father's brother.....ah well, I can always dream!

Good Luck,

BR
A

yep, as i'm going down the short motor route i had allready planned on changing over all those "irratating parts" such as camfollower/oil pickup, etc etc as a matter of course , i was hoping to get as possible, reliable and powerfull lump , and as its not in the car there's no reason why all those parts cant be sorted easily whilst the other mods are being sorted.
rob

Thanks for asking and the answer is , yes & no .
I had stopped going any further with this project recently due to the amount of issues that have been popping up with the car, but, that situation has now hopefully been resolved to my satifaction so it's full steam ahead now.
I was lucky enough to pickup a good donor BUL engine complete with all ancils recently which will form the basis of my project, i've not really decided on which upgrade route to take as yet , but i am absorbing as much technical info on the subject as possible combining it with members similar projects on this forum, hopefully i will come to the best final route to take from all the input, and as they say "knowledge is everything".
I think the next step is to get the BUL stripped down and fully apraised on its actual running condition and order the obvious parts like a new suction pipe etc etc.
When i've got a upgrade route decided i can start ordering the relavant parts , i dont want to go overkill as its my primary road car, but a nice boost in performance will be excellent 280-300 is what i'm hoping to end up with, or something in that region, but its got to be drivable.
I'm in no rush as i dont plan on getting it fitted up and running until the end of june 2015 when my audi waranty expires, so plenty of time to go and probably changes too.

cheers
rob

Nice one doing things slowly and methodically. That's my goal, 270bhp+ so I'll update my thread once it get it mapped. Sounds good though buddy, the decat and 034 intake pipe have been major in adding power and drivability for me...plus a rebuilt and decoked engine.

what's the 034 intake pipe and how does it differ from the stock item or other options?
i am trying my hardest to resist temptation to add some engine goodies to it at the moment, but i really must, i get the impression from the audi dealers that if anything get changed and is not original or a recommded part the warranty will be void straight away, and to be honest with my luck at present that will be a final straw , so best leave well alone and just progress with the donor engine.
rob

the 034 intake pipe is silicone pipe between the maf and the turbo if were talking about the same thing.. got mine a long time ago and its better even on stock car as the silicone pipe is less restrictive then the oem rubber one, better heat resistant too and most importantly it doesn't collapse under boost like the oem rubber one. besides you don't have to worry about waranty as you can replace it back to standard one in about 5 minutes when visiting the stealers.

ok thanks, any recommeded uk sources to purchase one guys.

Last edited:
I bought direct and it took about 10 days and 14 quid at the post office for customs, so about 50-60quid all in. Decat was 90quid 2nd hand for me or 150 new from German Ebay. 35 quid for a Pipercross drop in filter. I'm looking at getting it mapped soon so will have figures once that is done as I'll have a RR printout.

yep, if it's up for grabs , then can can i have first bids please.

I've got a k04 ready one aswell. Including the T off for the diverter valve

If so i can buy your modded one off you and sell mine to rob unless its a easy mod for dv takeoff.
Sorry Andy just seen this. Its straight forward enough to T off from. I just mounted the DV flange into the Intercooler pipe and put it directly beneath the TIP, then just sent a pipe from the TIP to the DV flange. I went to Merlin Motorsport for all the parts and built it all from scratch. Was a ball ache in every way of the word, but works a treat.