fuel gauge fault?

Rosslpenny

Reaction score
Hello

Ive got a 1.6tdi and notmsure if ive got a dodgy readout.

Im roughly getting 400miles to a full tank, fills up from completely empty 0 miles left at c45litres and im attempting to be economical so obtaining 45mpg+ on a mixed drive.

My old 1.6di (8p model) filled from empty at c55litres and got (from what I remember) 480 miles on a tank. Is something wrong?

I wouldve thought the tank size would be the same, if not better than the previous incarnation, so lost.

Can any advise if theyve had a similar issue or to what your filling up?

Thanks for your help
Ross

Fuel tank is tiny on the 8v fella.
I've never managed to squeeze more than 46ltr in mine.

Arghhh....bit smaller then. Thanks for putting my mind at rest, looks like Ill be enjoying the shell garage more then.

It's a 50l tank. I've got ~570 miles from my 2.0TDI at its best though.

Tank is 50 litres on FWD and 55 litres on quattro models. 8Ps were 65 litres iirc.

Have filled just over 50 litres into my S3 with 5 miles left on the range.

Have filled just over 50 litres into my S3 with 5 miles left on the range.
lol talk about playing chicken! I try to keep it over 1/4 to make sure non of the crud at the bottom of the tank gets sucked up.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I put 51 litres in once. Can't remember what the DIS was showing but the fuel gauge was definitely in the red.

I thought that 'crud at the bottom of the tank' was just an urban myth.

lol talk about playing chicken! I try to keep it over 1/4 to make sure non of the crud at the bottom of the tank gets sucked up.
Well not that close as it turns out, I've picked up courtesy cars before on 0 miles and driven them to the petrol station so I knew it wasn't that close.

Also there is no crud at the bottom of the tank, the fuel feed is in the bottom of the tank so any crud would be sucked up immediately, not when you're low on fuel. Also there's a fuel filter to prevent anything in the tank making it into the engine. Not to mention petrol doesn't exactly accumulate crud, being a pretty good cleaning solvent.

And, if you always run it low there can't be any crud anyway ;)

Reactions: Flibble
Last night, I outdid myself playing

Fuel Light Bingo

Got 54.94 litres in!!!

s1bSMqv.jpg

Reactions: Cymru09, pauly69 and OliJ
And sooo close to 55L too, next time maybe. Either that or a long walk with a green 5L jerry can.

Reactions: lucas-suisse
123.9.... For momentum 99? ;)

I almost thought you were abusing it with that 95 ron stuff.

124.9 for Momentum at my usual Tesco, fuel is getting (relatively) cheap!

Momentum is usually around the same price as diesel, so that doesn't surprise me. Apparently the cheapest diesel in the country today is 122.9, while the cheapest super is 123.9.

That shouldn't happen if if you put good quality fuel in. I always use Shell V-Power Nitro in our S3 and A2 FSI.

That shouldn't happen if if you put good quality fuel in. I always use Shell V-Power Nitro in our S3 and A2 FSI.
+1 on the vpower.

Not managed to collect all the little lego models though.

+1 on vpower, i got offered a lego model and turned it down :eek:

Wish i was paying 124.9 a litre, last fill up with vpower was 129.9!

I'll be using V-Power exclusively unless I'm desperate, in that case I'll use the nearest super-unleaded I can find.

I only do 8K miles a year in my own car so unit price isn't really a concern.

I'll be using V-Power exclusively unless I'm desperate, in that case I'll use the nearest super-unleaded I can find.
Get yourself a shell points card if you don't already have one.

I'm the same, have been known to drive out of the way to find a shell station :kissmyrings:

I'm fussy with petrol stations too, there's even certain Shell stations I use and some I avoid.
Never bothered with points cards though, what am I missing?
I've got a work van to fill every week too so use Shell in that too. I claim back the fuel for the van but could collect loyalty points.
Btw, I'm not interested in Air Miles or Glasses

I've picked money off fuel vouchers. I'm going to fill up there anyway so its a choice between money off fuel vouchers or no money off fuel vouchers.

500 points = £2.50. 1 Point for every litre of *shudder* standard fuel, and 2 points for vpower. It's better than nothing.

True, free fuel I suppose. I'm going to pick up a drivers cards and give it a go for a few months.

Pretty obvious really, on shell nitro at 2 points a litre you're getting a penny a litre back as a fuel voucher. Not getting anywhere near momentum prices of course.

The problem with using a Shell garage is that they tend to be owned privately and not by Shell. These are the ones that you read about in credit card scams...

Seriously though, there's a couple of stations that were caught scamming folk so I don't use them.

Seriously though, there's a couple of stations that were caught scamming folk so I don't use them.

Aye, must admit I steer clear of some, and usually any which are of the grubbier variety. Fortunately I don't venture far from home often so can usually fill up at the same place.

No I stand guard over my car in case some 'hoodie' turns up with a laptop. :-SS

Just let it go, or keep expressing your misguided exasperations in the specific related thread(s).

No need to behave like a spoilt child who didn't get his way, by making barbed comments in other un-related threads.

Reactions: Blackwhite