Weird fuel gauge behaviour

Filumo

Reaction score
Driving at a constant speed on a motorway two bars showing, suddenly drops to one red bar and low fuel warning. Pulled in to next station - only 5l left in the tank! This has happened twice now. Any ideas or similar experiences?!

The switch over from 2 leds to 1 led is correct as you describe.

So two white leds goes to 1 red led (bottom led changes colour)

Yeah and after the red leds it flashes noticed this on my RS3 TEST DRIVE
Wonder why it went so quickly into the red lol

Reactions: Simon L
Yep. There is no 'single white bar' option. Also the apparent fuel level difference on mine between 2 white and 1 red is shorter than the others so it doesn't stay on 2 bars for long. On my commute it takes <30 miles.

This is the exact opposite from 8 bars to 7 bars which seems to take 70-90 miles on my car.

5 bars = half a tank for me.

Reactions: Ignition1
Yep. There is no 'single white bar' option. Also the apparent fuel level difference on mine between 2 white and 1 red is shorter than the others so it doesn't stay on 2 bars for long. On my commute it takes <30 miles.

This is the exact opposite from 8 bars to 7 bars which seems to take 70-90 miles on my car.

5 bars = half a tank for me.

Same experience here. Also my fuel warning light comes on when it shows red, 5 litres left sounds about right I think.

50 litre fuel tank / 8 bars = 6 litres each bar.

On every car I've ever driven the last quarter on the fuel gauge, whether digital or analog, drops more quickly than the first quarter when it's full. It may be due to non-linearity in the sender unit resistance over its range, or the fact that the tank shape isn't a perfect cube shape so float level does not equal liquid volume, or iby design to help you avoid running out of gas.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Never like mine going below 3 bars. Bit OCD on only filling up with Nitro+ and no guarantee of a Shell station within 1 bar :racer:

Reactions: SmileyS3 and Jassyo06