SDXC Card Formats

Inti786

Reaction score
I have a SDXC 64gb card. The default format is exfat. Will this work with the MMI?

Thanks

will it work on fat32 aswell m8?

It will work FAT32 also, but you will need to format it using a utility such as guiformat for cards greater than 32GB.

Reactions: Inti786
I have formatted the sd card using another software and it is showing as FAT32 now. :yahoo:

I haven't found any advantage either way, I've had mine formatted both FAT32 and ExFAT at various times and it behaved identically.

hmm interesting, do you know if there are any differences if its a class 10 sd card. Will navigation on the Audi MMI be faster?

Class 10 might make indexing tracks a bit quicker when first inserted but for navigation and playback I would not expect much difference between other speeds. Even class 2 can read data (including FLAC) quicker than data transfer speeds needed for normal playback. Native uncompressed cd audio is what; 150kb/sec?

That said, I still use class 10 as the price differential is minimal, and they don't make high capacity cards below class 6 or 10. SDXC are probably class 10 or UHS-1 at least.

The main advantage of a faster card is reduced time copying tracks to the SD card in the first place.

John.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyEngineer