2.0 Tfsi Bwa - Camshaft + Hpfp Worn.

mk2vr6

Reaction score
Not an Audi, but a Leon I have just purchased pretty cheap. I bought on the assumption it was a misfire at high revs, however, after stripping it down I found the following:

Worn Cam lobe for fuel pump -

FwsHP05.jpg

M7Vncrn.jpg

gRE4hKO.jpg

MMtL8Pp.jpg

z7fnN41.jpg

Snapped bottom guide of tensioner -

4NCWJKO.jpg

bY9RzTg.jpg

Plastic seals broken for Cam Phaser/Variator (whatever its called!) -

8e74lUy.jpg

nq3vXwU.jpg

Damned revision A cam -

hffXKv9.jpg

And the car in question, along side my barge -

MC7i1tt.jpg

The cam follower for the HPFP was fine, so had been replaced recently before the car was shifted on to some numpty (me). The tip of the HPFP has worn ever so slightly, I will get pics tomorrow - hoping someone can advise if OK to reuse, or will need replacing, or if parts can be sourced separately for the pump?

And, what is known about the Phaser wheel thing, I understand roughly how it works, with oil being passed through the 3 different galleries, and the plastic seals there to separate them, but would it be safe to use Some similar sized Viton O-Rings?

Annddd, cheapest place to buy a new cam - I have read I can use the S3 cam, revised with hardened lobe for pump. But can it be bought anywhere other than VW/TPS?

Anyone been in the same boat?

Tony.

Unlucky there! Did you buy it privately? With replacing the fuel pump parts you could put in some updated autotech internals or post in the wanted section for Sri k internals cause a few of us have just upgraded the internals and have the stock bits still.

ouch sorry to hear / see that buddy.
May i ask what year is the car?

I think you will be able to get the cams aftermarket. I have done a few of the mk4 golf tdi 150 "chocolate cams" replacement and I could source them aftermarket.

I work for SEAT buddy.

That cam looks to have had its day I'd say.

Write me a list of exactly what parts you're after....

I'll be able to help more than any other main dealer when it comes down to the brass tax.

Most don't give a monkies about forums.

I however do, and have been here a weee while.

Reactions: mk2vr6, curlo and Mario8P
Thanks chaps! :)

2006 Leon Sport TFSI with 137k miles, so its had a good innings really. Apart from this and below 4k revs, the engine is silky smooth, and quiet otherwise.

Part list so far looks to be -

Camshaft adjuster rings - 06f 198 107 a - x3
Camshaft (S3 one) - 06f 109 101 h
Exhaust cam sprocket Bolt -06D109281D
Timing Chain Tensioner - 06F109217A
Valve cover gasket - 06F103483D
Timing Chain Metal gasket - 06D103121B
Timing Chain - 06D109229B
Vacuum pump rubber gasket - 06D145117
HPFuel Pump Seal Around cam follower - WHT005184

Plus I need cam cap bolts 16x of them, and a few others bits. I'll get a concise list asap.

Regarding the fuel pump, I have found a complete pump thats done 65k miles for £70 delivered. If I could get the internals cheaper that would be great - is there a thread on the group buy? I would go for a high flow HPFP, but keeping costs to a minimum at the moment unless I can get one cheap/second hand.

Thanks again guys :)

I work for SEAT buddy.

I'll be able to help more than any other main dealer when it comes down to the brass tax.

What a great community we got here!
Thanks man

Thanks chaps! :)

2006 Leon Sport TFSI with 137k miles, so its had a good innings really. Apart from this and below 4k revs, the engine is silky smooth, and quiet otherwise.

Part list so far looks to be -

Camshaft adjuster rings - 06f 198 107 a - x3
Camshaft (S3 one) - 06f 109 101 h
Exhaust cam sprocket Bolt -06D109281D
Timing Chain Tensioner - 06F109217A
Valve cover gasket - 06F103483D
Timing Chain Metal gasket - 06D103121B
Timing Chain - 06D109229B
Vacuum pump rubber gasket - 06D145117
HPFuel Pump Seal Around cam follower - WHT005184

Plus I need cam cap bolts 16x of them, and a few others bits. I'll get a concise list asap.

Regarding the fuel pump, I have found a complete pump thats done 65k miles for £70 delivered. If I could get the internals cheaper that would be great - is there a thread on the group buy? I would go for a high flow HPFP, but keeping costs to a minimum at the moment unless I can get one cheap/second hand.

Thanks again guys :)
Best of luck buddy. Hope you'll get everything sorted out in no time

I work for SEAT buddy.

Extra thanks to you! I'll ping you a PM now.

Tony.

Reactions: mjr901
Fuel pump sorted, hopefully cam will be sorted later too.

Just a few more bits and I'll get it all back together :)