A3 headlights misting badly then freezing..

newbieboyy

Reaction score
hola,

My A3 8P headlights have a slight crack in the back on one of thie fixing points, i araldited the gap a while back but they still mist often.

I tried the 50G packs of silca gel and got some positive response however last night after getting in the car the condensation was pretty bad and the headlights had actually frozen internally.. After 5 miles with lights on plus defrosting time for the windscreen the headlights were still pretty much frozen and the light pattern was shocking..

Is the only option going to be to replace the units?

I can get two new headlights for £172 (hella) or £148 (patent). Does this seem the sensible and safest option?

My concern is that it will get worse and really damage the lights and or the elecrics..

Are the caps and seals at the rear of the unit in good order?
Even a slightly misaligned seal can allow condensation to form inside a light unit.

I'd get the headlight off and indoors to check for any other gaps/cracks it could be getting into. If it's on the back of the light get it sealed up with silicon. Also, check the caps are sealing properly on the unit. Whilst you've got it indoors ensure to dry it out too!

So the issue is where the mount on attaches on the back and where it fixes to the car it is broke and flexes, despite being araldited it is flexing slightly and thr hole seems to be getting a lil worse.

I found a 15% discount code and the garage i bought it off although 11 months ago have said that thry will pay £80 ( for fog lights doing the same thing that they should have resealed) to cover the fog light costs.