20k budget for a S3 and advice needed.

Andru8

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a S3 with the budget of around 20k. I need a auto box due to a bad ankle so that is a must.
What should I be looking out for in the extras in your point of view as owners of the car. I would like the satnav,Bose sound upgrade,cruise etc.

What should I be looking out for in the faults that may be on the car especially with the Autobox? How often would that need servicing? I see lots of cars advertised with full leather or leather with white inserts. Is the leather with white inserts a cheaper option or is it the better option?

I will be spending a lot of time reading through this new found forum everyone is pretty helpful and clued up.

Thanks in advance.

My advice is to simply test drive as many as you can and then you will be able to tell good from bad. Other than that check the usual things such as FSH, and that things have been changed/replaced as per schedule e.g. cambelt/DSG oil changes (depending on age & mileage).

In terms of options search the forum to see what can be retrofitted (e.g. cruise) and at what cost but with 20k you should be able to get everything you want.

Good luck

Reactions: Andru8
Spending that sort of money I'd only be buying via Audi. Plenty of cars on their website so you can narrow down and then test drive.

My advice is get the spec right first. So get a list of everything you want on the car. Narrow down a couple of colour choices. Don't settle for anything less than your spec. Haggle hard with the dealer - times are not exactly plentiful nowadays so some dealers will fight hard for your business. Then enjoy it.

Apologies, I'm not sure how to send a pm.

I have something that may interest you if you would like to get in contact?

@kier333 to send a pm ( its actually called a conversation) at the top right hand side where you log in there is a white envelope just click and its simple from there. :) x

20k will get you a great spec but be prepared, once the bug bites you'll spend more on mods ;) The S3 is a great car, good luck with you search and with that budget i'd be tempted to go the dealer route first. You might want to consider parking sensors and sat Nav for your spec list but both these can be retro fitted if you find the right car without them. Good luck!

Buy approved through Audi!!

2011/12 black edition should be within your budget

I would definitely buy approved for peace of mind. I've just had a new S-tronic box fitted all under warranty.
Some things can be retrofitted like cruise and Rnse so I would concentrate on other things like bose, auto lights/wipers, sunroof etc

Thanks all, I have finally got one from Audi direct in Bridgend and very local to me. I paid £22 1/2 k for a 11 plate ibis white,black version,with all the extra I wanted including a sunroof,sat Nav, comfort pack,privacy glass etc and only 26k miles. With that I also has the next two services included and a years tax.

I think that was a fair price considering they are only 5 miles from my home. I test drove it,the first time I have driven an auto box,my impression of it is amazing. I just love the way the car looks and goes.

I am really going to have to look after my licence and more importantly my wallet with the updates I'd love to do to it.

Is there a way I can get the latest maps downloaded to a memory card to use as the ones on the DVD are from 2011,thanks in advance.

I had the 3 door also,I was looking for the 5 door but fell in love with this one.

Reactions: omblad0n
This is the spec I have in my new purchase,if I'm able to post a screen shot

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417213878267784

Very nice but personally not a fan of the red interior, I maybe a tad biased though as it's pretty much identical to mine apart from DSG and sunroof.

The video is a nice touch:applaus:

I agree with you about the red leather but it's not as bad in real life, I was surprised.

The local Audi did this as I enquired about the car, it's one of the things they do now days.

The red leather is a personal choice, as is the silver, but imo it lifts the interior. That's why I had it in my old 3 door and I have it again in my 5 door.
It also does look different in real life.
Nice car and well spec'd

I love the interior! Looks more special than the bland single tone stuff. In my opinion anyway.

Congrats on your purchase. I bet you will not be able to keep it standard for long if you stick around on this forum

For an old git of nearly 50, I ain't too bad .I've always loved a little bit of speed now and again.

I wish I had been born 25 yrs later, lol