a4 b6 1.9tdi boosting issue

R.oliver

Reaction score
Hello all, im fairly new to the forum but it need of some help please,
I have an a4 that has a boost problem, it cuts out and goes into I presume limp mode, yet it still revs past 3,000rpm, it boosts fine up to 80 but then cuts out, ive run out of ideas now, ive replaced the map maf and n75 valve, I replaced all the vaccum pipes, ive cleaned the manifold and the egr, blanked the egr and put a turbo clean kit through the turbo, and ive had it plugged in and no engine related codes have come up, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance

Hello bud this is a great forum so no doubt you'll receive some very useful help from the members here.
Is it something simple like a leak from the boost pipe? The seals on mine were gone and on one occasion the pipe popped off and the engine went into limp mode.

Hello, thanks I hope so, the boost pipes are abit loose, but I don't think its a leak, as I said up to 80mph it pulls really well then just goes flat, it does it on hill aswell, I havent done a boost leak test but no pipes have come off?

Brake pedal does feel odd, sometimes is really hard, they arent as amazing as the other audis Ive had, and it has had new rear pads, also when I remove the actuator vac pipe I feel no suck on it atall?

Boost and vac pipes can be a nightmare on audis, i chased mine round for ages with my 8L.
But I'm pretty sure you have a leak, the brake pedal is a dead give away

I had that on my old A3 mr muscle down the turbo and managed to get some ACF50 (top stuff btw) down onto the shaft on the outside to help free it off, was fine after that.

Im going to try the mr muscle trick in the week and see what happens if not ill get it checked for boost or vac leaks, I did put a innotec kit through it but obviously its still doing it

Small update, I had the opportunity to go on the m5 today, I joined the slip road and gave itsome all through the gears and it was fine all till nearly top out (bad I know) but as soon as I hit traffic slowed and then it cleared I put my foot down hit 80 and it went flat again?

That is now pointing me in the direction of sticky turbo vaines .
Get the Mr Muscle at it, works a treat. But if it still does it, it's recon turbo time, about £260 from a place near me, if you have the time to take it of and send it away.

As above........sounds like the variable vanes are sticking on high boost.

Okay just brought some mr muscle, I take it its the oven cleaner in the spray can? Also had a thought, ive had dealings with caustic soda before and wandered if that stuff would do any good? I know how lethal it is so surely it would clean it better than anything else?

If the issue you have is related to a sticking VNT mechanism then the only real way to resolve this is to remove the turbo , split it and clean it properly with a wire brush. Costs nothing to do other than your time to remove and refit the turbo.The squirt it in and leave it for a while turbo cleaners sometimes give a temporary fix but nothing beats doing it properly.
If you have VCDS you can tell a lot about what is going on in the engine by measuring the specified and actual boost levels rather than just spending loads of money systematically changing parts that re possibly not faulty.
And I have come across people who have replaced the MAP sensors and used the wrong part. Then they had two issues and spent ages trying to work out why they couldn't fix the problem.

Karl.

Ive used the innotec kit, what are vcvds? I have had the codes read and nothing coming up!?

If the issue you have is related to a sticking VNT mechanism then the only real way to resolve this is to remove the turbo , split it and clean it properly with a wire brush. Costs nothing to do other than your time to remove and refit the turbo.The squirt it in and leave it for a while turbo cleaners sometimes give a temporary fix but nothing beats doing it properly.
If you have VCDS you can tell a lot about what is going on in the engine by measuring the specified and actual boost levels rather than just spending loads of money systematically changing parts that re possibly not faulty.
And I have come across people who have replaced the MAP sensors and used the wrong part. Then they had two issues and spent ages trying to work out why they couldn't fix the problem.

Karl.

I did this procedure. It's not difficult to do. I made a thread on it. Mine is the 2.5 lump and there are plenty of info of on this for the 1.9tdi too.

+1 on the VCDS and logging the boost request and actual figures.

VCDS is worth every penny.

Well I did the mr muscle trick.. nothing changed still goes into limp mode, taking it to alan jefferies tuning on Saturday for him to have a look, will get him to scan it and test boost and check for leaks I think! Any other ideas?

Still looking for help, could it not be vac or boost leak? or even something electrical? Would throttle position affect it?

If there are no codes stored in the ECU it won't be going into limp mode, assuming the code reader you are using is good.
Has the car always done this since you have owned it?.
Limp mode can be reset by turning the ignition off and restarting. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?.

Karl.

The is no point in guessing!!
Get some simple checks done, a proper live data scan done o. Vag-com. Check all pipes twice. Maybe 3 times. If you find nothing then as already stated a number of times. It may be the turbo

Ive had it a month, does it every drive, lasts longer when cold but does reset in ignition! As said all vacum pipes were changed one by one, diesel filter is only a month old. I serviced it when I got it

If there are no codes stored in the ECU it won't be going into limp mode, assuming the code reader you are using is good.
Has the car always done this since you have owned it?.
Limp mode can be reset by turning the ignition off and restarting. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?.

Karl.
sorry replys above