a4 b6 1.9tdi coolant issue.

matt blowen

Reaction score
hi guys when i thrash the old girl my heaters blow cold, then take it steady the heaters come back warm any ideas? Also maybe linked I don't know but when I open expansion tank lid there seems to be a lot of pressure.

Its a pressurised system so thats what you should find but be careful if its hot.Does temp get to 90? if so how longdoes it take and does it stay there?Check that the pipes at the bulk head are hot.Could be a stat failure or matrix blockage

temp gets to 90 fine and stays there unless idle for 10 mins it creeps down, heaters work fine until I boot it.

It should hold 90 so its overcooling so could be stat.You also need to check the CTS but that needs diagnostics unless you feel like changing any way.Are the pipes hot and does it creep to 90?

Ive replaced my CTS, all pipes get hot apart from the one going in to the stat and the pipe which connects the the bottom of the expansion tank also rad doesn't seem to get hot, maybe duff stat but ive i replaced it last year with a firstline one

Its the pipe coming out of the matrix that s/b cooler.Stats do fail early and that seems to be whats happened.The rad wont warm up much at this time of year and should stay cold until the engine has got to temp

Reactions: matt blowen
Replaced stat, still the same so going to do timing belt n pump next week, my guess is the water pump isn't spinning under heavy load.

If it was the pump it would overheat.I would reverse flush the matrix and seeif that helps