thermostat or coolant temp sensor?

b3nny

Reaction score
Good aftrrnoon guys,

I have a small problem with my 2.0l 143ps tdi, basiclly it seems to take a long time to warm up oncevat a steady normal driving pace ie 50/60 it getsup to the 90 mark but as soon as I start to slow down or come to some stand still traffic the needle will start to decrease and if left running while stopped will eventually sit at 70. At first I thought the temp sensor but now im in two minds and would like a second opinion.

Am I right in thinking the stat and cts is located at the bavk of the engine in roughly the centre of the bulk head and its abit of a **** to change?

thanks in advance.

More than likely stuck stat. Both are circ of £40 each from Audi so if it's the other isn't a big hit. Yeah at back of engine.

I got a temp sensor from Euro car parts and attempted to fit it this weekend but gave up in the end as I just couldn't release the retaining clip and I have small hands! Am I right in saying you can't even see the sensor and are doing it blind, it's right below a metel pipe?

All I could do is get a nail under what I think was the clip as it felt the right shape and it started to budge bit I just couldn't get enough pressure under it to completely move it.

Mine will only get up to 90 if I fully blank the radiator. I have inserted two bits of lino between radiator and aircon rad and it gets up there in 10 miles and sits there now. Going to take it for its first service soon so I'll add it to the list ;)

Assume it remains sat there even when at slower speeds and stationary? Unless I'm sat at around 50 60mph at starts to creep Dow. :(