Woooohooooo it's arrived :)

westcoast a3

Reaction score
026bb3baf1f28f96e572a7b540dbce1d.jpg

Few weeks ago I started part collecting for my build and today the final pice arrived, excited much :)

So bought a forged engine which looked like this

f51f23c15b565e7760b651aa44b13db2.jpg

So after some cleaning it looked like this.

e2e2ca69c0e18750ed86b4ece7fbb11d.jpg

(Rocker cover will be changed)

So after receiving a txt from Dan Wednesday,me and my mate started this yesterday at around 1330.,

ac4b11110f435ba663d5c78feeabcf59.jpg

da0b52bb79d2a24d7a640a7c30bfcba7.jpg

794cd2ada44d6ad3b13e08fd11bb7b76.jpg

fa3d7241c724199fef768b3e6b736900.jpg

Until we got to this at 115am how time flies

b11c478a67dfd0f38d84f3d491997576.jpg

Very dirty gear box :/
4c9d6f700f0585b8753e593530b0a884.jpg

Then today after yet another visit to Edinburgh Audi for more bolts and picking up this little beauty .

1f055eb4bc1045ec5f2011deb5d58462.jpg

So excitedly started back at the car around three ish to strip down and clean the stuff from my old engine and do timing belt, only for a power cut at my mates garage half way through doing sump, so out the with the torches to finish that and go home and write this :)

So the list is long for tomorrow, to try and get most of it on and ready to go In before the Misses gets back from holiday :) ( she hopes any way lol)

Last edited:
Well today didn't go to well got a whole bunch of stuff back on engine and was left to get turbo on, what a joke wrong studs, spent most of the evening trying to get them to fit, only to message Sam and for him to say there is a special fitting kit, which he "sent separate" from the mani.
Not happy which that at all so now stuck with car in bits waiting for these studs and need car back by Thursday :/

2941fdc64ffcc4b346d39129667a2ed1.jpg

Awesome work

Unlucky on the fitting kit

So after a 5 day wait for the turbo bolts we eventually got it all back together :)
c98d045684948e10ab6a88f4bd55af08.jpg

b7337e7abc71b3dc27dc70dcd2567e3c.jpg

12649a01d07a81bcda790e40ba7d6fb8.jpg

4229aa9f4ee2ffa3f5d89ef804e200c0.jpg

b1704f29ec31cbc51ad8a508ed9aef30.jpg

4ed12964ef375dddc8e158fccb35dd9c.jpg

987a63a77113c3fdb2bcf6f87ef9308a.jpg

df0899afe9cdf3e4426c5e016e6a1613.jpg

a3723fd010bdf5a412d2477e9e192a9d.jpg

b4387a980b128c551fe76a3233bcfb4f.jpg

358f098af173d854c5eb8fa3c3022e99.jpg

After getting the engine back in and all the stuff wired up, bumper etc on, fired her up after the first couple of turns will fuel pump unplugged, to our amazement it started first time!!

Happy days, or so I thought, have got code
17748/P1340/004928 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation

So having looked at this code it's either the timing is out or one of two sensors, which I will change.

If this is not the problem then I must of timed it wrong when doing the belt and pulleys, when I received the engine I bought, crank was out to the cam shafts by one tooth, when we removed the crank pulley there was a red dot and line one the sprocket which were lined up and when looking in piston 1 was tdc and the camshaft pulley were in line, should i Still of lined up with the pulpy or the line on the sprocket ???

Cheers for any help offered

Looking good - nice progress.

Sorry - new to forum and Audi - what exhaust manifold is that - is it a straight fit to a K04 turbo (224bhp) and if so where can I get one ????

Hi and welcome , this a different manifold to the one you are looking for I think you want an xs-pro v 4 , if you have facebook check the relentless page :)

is your hybrid the k300?
you have a rough date for finish?
whos doing your mapping?

Yes it's is k300, hope to take to bills for mapping and all car is back together now :)
Just waiting in water meth and new exhaust and will be getting both of those today :)

great!
im in the process of a bbt 418t build and also looking into wmi and bill for mapping.
id love to know what the k300 is like i have a mate with an a3 looking for more power so looking forward to your results
great work man!

Reactions: westcoast a3
the problem i foresee with a stud and lock nut arrangement on these kind of manifolds is when you need to remove turbo (for a gasket replace for example) that very difficult hidden stud with locnut on it will 99% of the time wind the stud out of the turbo and into the manifold getting itself stuck there.

it will flow well tho on this mani

Why dont people switch to an S3/TT boost pipe and inlet manifold setup with builds like this?
This is the first time i've seen the layout and that boost pipe is so close to the manifold and downpipe, plus it squeezes past the engine. Its just poo

That said bolt is such a c nt to do up its not real lol

Karl would of went for a different charge pipe setup, didn't want the pipes coming over the engine bay as I don't like all the pipes on show lol :)

hi lads looking for advice have retimed the car and now jam getting g66 sensor code could anyone tell me where this is is it the one to the left of oil filter housing or the on to the right just above the oil filter housing?

many thanks again oh and is it safe to drive with this fault code ??

cheers

Well found out what the problem was, sensor two is just above oil filter housing and was looser than a Thai pro lol :) that being said have me exhaust on now just to fit the water meth and then down for a map :)

389a7443954363aed606a25c5ddbbbd3.jpg

dd05f5abfe1fa5f26b5807e8d5ace99a.jpg

Reactions: VAG-Slag
Nice work... I'm also in the midst of a similar (even if elongated) k300 build. Starting to wish I just bought a forged lump like your self though! . . . Instead I'm completely starting from scratch!

Best of luck for mapping! Will be interested to see how you do on the rollers... I take it this is a quattro A3?

Also what pump/injectors are you running?

Yeah was going to rebuild myself but the cost and time dictated where my money went lol , and yes is a quattro and was looking at the 550s that bbt has for sale on his website and fuel pump not sure but I do know that I don't want a loud *** inline lol will see what happens will try the inline and if to loud will try a in tank jobby :)

Yeah was going to rebuild myself but the cost and time dictated where my money went lol , and yes is a quattro and was looking at the 550s that bbt has for sale on his website and fuel pump not sure but I do know that I don't want a loud *** inline lol will see what happens will try the inline and if to loud will try a in tank jobby :)

Yea, cost was the main reason I decided to build a new engine my self... Also so I know the history, this way I got no one else to blame if it f*cks up! lol how much did you give for that lump if you don't mind me asking? and do you know much about it?

At the moment I'm just planning on running standard S3 injectors @ 4bar and a sytec pump... But who knows how that might change by the time I get back on the rollers!?

A sytec pump should support your k300 needs just fine and they're quite, cheap (50 quid ish) and fit straight into the OE swirl pot... Win win!

Are s3 injectors enough for 300 hp ?? I paid 950 delivered for the apy engine which had a vvt installed and came with service history recpit a of rebuild and had only covered 86000 miles from new had rebuild at 78000 so not too bad, but it was very dirty lol, plus have the original engine to learn how to rebuild lol :)

So the sytec do you need to fit that to your old pump or is it a new unit that replaces your old one as mines was brand new about 18 months ago from Audi :/ lol

S3 injectors are just about good enough (arguably) for 300 but helped by running them @ 4bar... As always with these things though a bit of head room is always good and 550's are advised. In fact Niki @ R-Tech wont even map a k300 if it hasn't got at least 550's

That's not a bad price I suppose, you know what rods are in it? . . I'll be happy if I can build mine for under 600, but the shopping list is forever getting bigger! lol we'll see.

The Sytec pump fits into the original swirl pot in place of the OE one, but I'd imagine the pump you bought from Audi was already in the swirl pot... you should still be able to sell on the old pump though, specially if it's only 18 months old.

To give you a better idea perhaps here's what the Sytec one looks like:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSE-Sytec...224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a45507538

Cheers for the link might just buy that, are these hard to install ??? I spent over 300 on nuts bolts n gaskets alone mate :/ it has IE RD RODS in and couldn't have built mine for less and I had only two weeks when I was on hols from work to complete the whole thing which I lucky done on the last day lol

Have read your thread and was going to ask you some things, like how hard was it to remove the air con, did you remove all the pipes n that too ???

They're not too bad... Just have to pop the top off the swirl pot, held on by 4 clips or so. Just be careful not to brake the clips!

Yea, those rods probably cost more than I'm intending to spend on my whole build! lol That's a lot of money for gaskets and stuff as well :ambivalence: is that all from TPS? . . . F****** rip off merchants!

Removing the air con wasn't too bad, took the condenser out when the front end was off, and then removed the pump and the pipe work in the engine bay when I had the head off... Which made things a lot easier! If I remember correctly it's the fact the engine mount/expansion tank/charcoal cannister etc is all in the way of the pipe work that makes things tricky. Also just remember the system is most probably still pressurised, even if your air con is no longer working! I've not actually removed anything from inside the car, I just plugged the holes up with RTV where they go though the bulk head.

Well the top end has developed a rattle :/ I am assuming this to be hydraulic lifters, and if it is how bad is this to drive as its my daily and don't have the time to get it off the road :/

Could be the cam chain tensioner... would need to hear it really...

<tuffty/>