247,500kms not out!

Molnboman

Reaction score
Just treated the old rust bus to a fresh oil and filter change today at 247k kms. Car showed no faults hooked up to the diagnostic either which was a bonus and Is running well. Car is still on original clutch and turbo and is driven daily in pretty scarily cold temperatures in the winter too! Had the old thing since May 2012 and £ for £ still the best car I have owned in 28 years of driving for smiles v comfort v performance v running costs. I have tempted fate haven't I ?

Safe Weekend Folks,
A

Reactions: Jespy, JudderMan, scotty76 and 1 other person
your doing really well then :cool:, that is the sort of reliability that you would expect from audi , maybe its your cold location that is the key to its longevity, anyway what ever your car is on , bottle it and sell it to us over here;):)
great stuff, love the color too.

Cheers Rob, yes, I am well aware of how ****** lucky I am Mate. I bought it at 170,000 kms and it had one previous owner with full VAG history, nothing special history wise other than fitted with a defa engine warmer from new which I thing has a lot to do with it's health. I MTM remapped it in July 2013 and change the oil and filter every 10,000km's ( 6kmiles ) which is often described as excessive but, I don't think turbo engine's like dirty oil much imho. My only gripe has been the rust.....but it's used 365 days a year and the salt they put down here is Guinness book of records stuff. If it's possible, I would consider finding a rust free donor body to put this engine in......but too much effort. Just gonnae enjoy it till it's legs fall off.

Cheers
A

Proof at last our cars can last. Pretty amazing being on original clutch and turbo

what version is your front grill mate, look rather nice

what version is your front grill mate, look rather nice

Thanks Rob, ts the cheapo Yank RS4 grill for the se models. The plastic is loads better than the cheap FK auto ones, but no chrome just silver paint...I just plasti dipped over the silver outer edge. 100 quid ish delivered if I recall. Only hassle is positioning the rings on it.....it's a mind f@ck cause the lattice dont match up to the rings! Think this us it. Not the company I bought mine from though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-08-AUDI-...K-SATIN-/191199274059?fits=Make:Audi|Model:A4

Last edited:
I'm just onto 228,500kms (142,000 miles), it's an auto, but as far as I know the gearbox and turbo have never been touched. With the right care and maintenance (and the right type of driving) these cars will last a lot longer than people think.

By the right kind of driving, I mean not doing regular 2 minute journeys to the shops in a diesel, or any car for that matter, as the engine doesn't get warm and is always under strain in stop-start residential roads.

High milers FTW! :rockwoot:

Reactions: Molnboman
Mines just short of 160 000 miles. Pretty sure will hit it this weekend going bristol an back. Only had a recon turbo fitted by a previous owner maybe a clutch too not sure. But everything else is original

Just sold my 2.0tfsi with 187,000 miles also same clutch and turbo and was running well.

Al, your car just goes on forever! I must ask, do you have portrait in the attic of a hideously rusted and wrecked A4?

Al, your car just goes on forever! I must ask, do you have portrait in the attic of a hideously rusted and wrecked A4?

Jeff, I can assure you that colour hides a multitude of sins. The rust on the front arches is quite shocking now.....the bubbling on the rears arches at the bumper joint is progressively driving me insane....and there is nothing I can do about it...it's beyond economic repair up here. Next car will have a plastic composite body material!....BR A