Driver Information System

dirtychinchilla

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the screen on my dash, which normally would show things like MPG etc. Mine has never actually done anything, and I believe it was an option that wasn't specified when the car was bought.

I don't have the computer control buttons on the wiper stalk, so I'm wondering whether if I change the wiper stalk to be the stalk with computer control buttons, the computer might then start working...

Is this realistic? Or is it a case of buying entirely new clocks? I've basically got a screen that does nothing at the moment, which makes me think that changing the stalk might do it.

I've just put my option codes into the decoder and it comes up with this:

E0A = No special edition
7A0 = Without CD changer/CD player
4UF = Drivers and front passenger air bag with front passenger air bag deactivation
6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
6TS = Right exterior mirror: aspherical, large viewing field
1KK = Disc brakes, rear
J0R = Battery 380 A (80 Ah)
1LS = Front disc brakes with integrated adapter
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
1JJ = Rear shock absorption, basic design
G65 = Front shock absorption
5TC = Without decorative inserts
7X0 = Without park distance control
4R1 = Power windows
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
0L2 = Electric throttle actuation
8GD = Alternator 90A
0G7 = Tiptronic
0YZ = Without determination of weight categoryfor rear axle
L64 = Suspension range 64 installation control only, no requirement forecast
T5X = 4-cylinder diesel engine 1.9 L unit 038.L
3NC = Rear seat bench/backrest, split folding
8JK = Ellipsoidal headlight for driving on the left
U1B = Instrument insert with mph speedometer, clock, tachometer and trip odometer
1N6 = Power steering
1MR = Leather steering wheel
8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment
9Q0 = Without multi-function display/ on-board computer
8Z5 = Not hot country
MS7 = 4-cyl. turbo diesel eng. 1.9 L/74 kW TDIpump-jet injection system Base engine is T5X/T21/T71
7Q0 = Without navigation device
C7S = Alloy wheels 6J x 15
4X1 = Side air bag front
6R0 = Selector lever cover
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
1SA = Without additional front underbody guard
0GE = Emission standard EU3
Q1A = Standard front seats
QG1 = Service interval prolongation
4GP = Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield and viewing window for vehicleidentification number

If you look at the bold ones, they seem most important. I think it's saying that I can't use the multifunction display despite having it?!

The car also came with a CD changer though, which it says it doesn't have...

If I did just install the wiper stalk, would I have to do anything else, or would this computer just start up, if it exists?

Looks like someone may have swapped the clocks out at some point...

<tuffty/>

Swapped the clocks from the basic one to the more advanced one, and then not upgraded the stalk?

Just to be clear, I have two areas of screen on my dash. The bottom works, showing stuff like whether the doors are open, services etc. The upper screen never ever shows anything on it.

Last edited:
Any ideas anyone?

I could just buy the stalk and try it out as it's only £6.49, but I have no idea whether that would then throw up a fault code?

Thanks for that, tuffty.

Is this the critical part for me:

Forgot to add,

On the wiper stalk 6 pin connector you need to install a wire from pin 3 (earth) to pin 6 (earth - brown) or else your wiper DIS switches won't work without being earthed from pin 3 as ive found out :wacko:

Fair enough! I've got some learning to do. As I said, I'm very tempted just to switch out the stalk and see what happens :)

Stalk wiring is easy, alls you need to do is connect from pin 3 to pin 6 (Earth -brown wire)on the stalk plug.

You need the pins to fit into the stalk plug though.

The LCD screen in the dash, does it have a plastic divider between the top and bottom half?

This is a DIS dash;
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141564063390

Any questions pm me, if you need a dash insert I do have a spare one.

Hi there,

I could just about manage that. My dash does have a divider between the bottom and top, and doesn't look like the DIS dashed that you've linked to.

It sounds like I've got the basic version, and that the screen above is just useless...what's the insert?

Thanks for your help :)