A3 drivers information system

adamgroves

Reaction score
I dont have this on my a3 as its only a 1.6, is it possible to swap the clocks out with a drivers information and it will just work, or do i need something else?

It's probably possible but it's probably not economically viable to do it.

the dash display (including the speedo, drive info system, rev counter etc) can be lifted out as a complete unit.
iff you adjust the stering wheel down as far as it will go, then pull off the surround - horizontal piece of plastic between the top of the steering wheel and bottom of the display.
there are 2 screw out bolts behind that, move them and the unit should lift out complete.

i think i've seen a post before about doing this mod, but you'd want to be careful messin about with it coz i'm sure the stealers would love to get lots of your money for a new one.

;p

Whilst on the subject of DIS, anyone got any ideas for a cure on my DIS, some of the lights work partially(like faded) when I start the car up, and and slowly lights up when the car gets a little warmer. Something about using cable-ties was mentioned, but not sure what.

Cheers

So do you have the wiper stalk with DIS control on ?

Adam, I looked at this on my A4. It's not so simple, there are wiring loom and (IIRC) ECU differences as well, not just the dash display. As mentioned you'd need the wiper stalk.

Hence the problem comes when you try to hook it all up and there's no signal for the information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You need to get the new cluster recoded to your ECU using Vagcom or the engine wont start. This can only really be done by Audi now as you need a SKC (Special Key Code) which only they can get and I belive are no longer giving them out to the public. Then you have to wire in the stalk and all the sensors that the DIS uses. It has been done but it isnt easy or cheap unless you get all the parts off of a scrapped car. Note, there are 3 different models of the cluster, so you have to get the correct one for your year or the wiring is different.