more fault codes :(

Twaz

Reaction score
So today I went to vwauditec in chelmsford essex today to finally find out why my engine warning light was on, they have told me that there is a problem with the cat effciency (so new cat is needed) system is running too lean (new mass airflow needed) and voltage low (I new I needed a new battery not worried about this one) I just wanted to know if I really do need a new cat or if I sorted out the too lean problem it would clear the other sensor any help would be great

Attachments

• 20150210_123003.jpg
    20150210_123003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95
De
So today I went to vwauditec in chelmsford essex today to finally find out why my engine warning light was on, they have told me that there is a problem with the cat effciency (so new cat is needed) system is running too lean (new mass airflow needed) and voltage low (I new I needed a new battery not worried about this one) I just wanted to know if I really do need a new cat or if I sorted out the too lean problem it would clear the other sensor any help would be great
De-cat pipe mate

I,d change the battery first as bad voltage can throw up numerous imaginary faults.

Running lean and a blocked cat don't add up ?

It does smell too lean and I get the odd puff of smoke once it's up to temp sitting at traffic lights

I doubt you would be able to smell it running lean as lean means very weak mixture so should be less smell, the odd puff of smoke after ticking over could be just the exhaust cats heating up and it may just be normal or it could be valve stem seals weeping abit (no big deal) depends on the colour and smell of the smoke?

So it smells like these is too much fuel in the mix? And it will still smoke after a 20 mile run the longer it sits still the more smoke I get and it's a white smoke. I don't think it's blue and my oil doesn't go down nor goes my coolant

Does the smoke travel upwards and evaporate quickly or does it hang low and not evaporate ?

Does sound like a bit of oil smoke but leaky valve stem seals are not really a worrying problem unless they get really bad , it may also account for why the cat is blocked, oil residue will gunge the cat up the 2nd lambda behind the cat will not read correct mixture. You can buy an additive which goes in with the fuel (NOT REDEX) which does work , the one i used to use was/is made by Forte, they make all the best additives by miles, cant remember what its exact name is but im sure if you search google for forte cat cleaner or something along those lines it will come up. Worth a try, always worked for me and we used to service 2 huge fleets of taxis that spent alot of time on tickover and regularly gunged the cats.

Reactions: Twaz