retrofitting DAB

They did say this would be possible prior to the 8V launch. However, it now appears that the MMI comes in different variants, some with DAB, some without. Currently, to upgrade to DAB requires complete replacement of the MMI unit, at a cost of thousands.

I guess they might bring out some plugin unit, but I'm not sure how well this would integrate Into the MMI, and if it's an official Audi accessory you can bet it'd still be hundreds.

Here's hoping a third party comes up with an alternative and cheaper solution.

Reactions: glospete
They did say this would be possible prior to the 8V launch. However, it now appears that the MMI comes in different variants, some with DAB, some without. Currently, to upgrade to DAB requires complete replacement of the MMI unit, at a cost of thousands.

I guess they might bring out some plugin unit, but I'm not sure how well this would integrate Into the MMI, and if it's an official Audi accessory you can bet it'd still be hundreds.

Here's hoping a third party comes up with an alternative and cheaper solution.

If Audi can't/don't have a solution I have been in contact with this company:

http://www.justconnectme.co.uk/justdrive-digital-radio-dab-car-adaptor/

They claim a seamless fit into my TT and for £190 it may be worth a punt.

But hadn't DAB always been available on the 8V though?

Depends on what country you in, down-under we have DAB+, so no digital radio at all for us on the MMI, only AM or FM in fact we don't even get Audi- connect as they couldn't be bothered with either in such a small market apparently. But I believe the A6 models and above do get DAB+ radios.

I thought the DAB system we have in the 8V was also DAB+ compatible but that may be my misunderstanding?

That sucks, Connect more so then DAB
sure is, especially when the MMI navigation plus is standard in our S3s, then again here they also charge the same price for the manual and the s-tronic (give or take a $100)

No DAB option here in Ireland also! I asked a Car Audio dealer about a new DAB head unit for my TTS and he said that Ireland was going down the Streaming Option rather than DAB due to the high cost of Radio Station implementation...... Still No Steaming Option on my S3 with full Tech and a Sim Card :(

The prices vary slightly between the States
Price - manual
Manufacturer's List Price (Inc. GST)
$61,100.00*
Dealer Delivery Charge (Inc.GST)
$2,921.00
Federal Govt Luxury Car Tax (LCT) $0.00
NSW State Govt Total Registration $863.00
NSW State Govt Stamp Duty $2,305.00
Vehicle Drive Away Price
$67,189.00^

Price - s-tronic
Manufacturer's List Price (Inc. GST)
$61,100.00*
Dealer Delivery Charge (Inc.GST)
$2,921.00
Federal Govt Luxury Car Tax (LCT) $0.00
NSW State Govt Total Registration $1,008.00
NSW State Govt Stamp Duty $2,305.00
Vehicle Drive Away Price
$67,334.00^

Wow that's just under £44k in British sterling
All of our car prices are wow, if you want a M135 or a A45 you are looking at another $15,000 extra, and an R with leather & DSG is about $6,000 cheaper.

The S3 8V although was a $10,000 price drop from the S3 8P apparently !

That's nuts, how do they justify it? Wonder if it's a similar story in the states.
Welcome to the world of the aussie car market. Here VW market themselves as a prestige brand and charge accordingly and brands like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc charge substantially extra for their models than they do in the UK.

It i expected a base model RS3, when it comes out will be 50,000 pounds

A Porsche 911 Carrera S, that retails in the UK for about 90,000 pounds, sells here for 125,000 pounds.

Aussie buyers are real badge snobs and will happily pay to be able to say they drive a European brand, rather than a Japanese or Korean car.